Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched the forum from page 1 to 40 then back from 120 to 75 to no real avail on cleaning the inside of a acrylic tank. The free tank I got looks pretty bad but the seams look good and will fill this morning and check for leaks then start the cleaning process.

Anyway its got a white build up on it that I am pretty sure is not calcium,looks like the white film that collect under the light if that makes sense? Doesn't appear to be any real big scratches yet and I know not to use anything abrasive, any suggestions on a cleaner to try with a sponge or?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I just use an scrubbing pad specified safe for acrylic like these. I've never used or needed any kind of chemical cleaners, except for isopropyl alcohol to clean edges before solvent welding. I would just try the pad first. Fill the tank before inspecting for leaks as some don't show when filled with water (inside scratches).

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had to clean my acrylic tank after purchasing it on CL also. This was a couple years ago now, but at that time, TruVu was offering a kit, with several grain sand paper and some liquid made specifically for polishing out scratches on an acrylic tank. http://www.truvuaquariums.com/acscreki.html
Outside of that, I do use a magfloat cleaner that is made specifically for acrylic tanks (make sure its for acrylic, not glass) that does not scratch it further.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Up-date

I got it all pretty much cleaned up, I don't know what my friend did or DIDN'T do to this tank but there was some kind of brown thick film on the back that was like dried cardboard, pain in the a-- to get off. Ended up using vinegar and a scrubby on the back,wasn't worried about scratching and it didn't either way. Cant complain it is a free tank and stand.

After cleaning the front there is about a 12" scratch right down the center will have to work on that, I have it filled right now leaving for awhile see if anything shows up leak wise. The seams all look really good, the back is bowed out a bit assuming this is normal?

Thanks for the info guys it was help full!!

Should add its a aquaview brand any info on the company,could only find desk top type tanks when I searched.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts