Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my acrylic 265g this weekend and was wondering about the egg crate for the bottom of the tank. I use it currently in my 150g and have a few hundred lbs of limestone. My question is since the acrylic tank is supported across the entire bottom not just the sides like a glass tank do I still need it. I was going to just put it in anyways since I figure it cant hurt but, I am open for opinions.

Thanks in advace,

Josh

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
All eggcrate will do in your tank is look ugly when it gets exposed. Don't bother with it. I've built and own 11 acrylic tanks. I also have glass tanks. I don't use it in any of them and add rocks as I please. Tanks were made to support rocks regardless of what they're made of. And the tank bottom will get scratched regardless of what you do. Not sure why that's a problem. Relax and rock it up.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
prov356 said:
All eggcrate will do in your tank is look ugly when it gets exposed. Don't bother with it. I've built and own 11 acrylic tanks. I also have glass tanks. I don't use it in any of them and add rocks as I please. Tanks were made to support rocks regardless of what they're made of. And the tank bottom will get scratched regardless of what you do. Not sure why that's a problem. Relax and rock it up.

Just my .02.
+1 :thumb:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for your quick responses and after hearing this and talking to a few lfs that specializes in salt water they say no problem with no egg crate.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
prov356 said:

Just my .02.
It should not be an issue with acrylic tanks, but glass is a different story. The weight is not the issue, but the risk of point loading when using gravel is. A glass tank that has a raised bottom, is at risk for a point load fracture. I also don't think egg crate is necessarily the right product since you can get point loading using it. Risk level may slight but I know someone who lost 2 tanks to it and he now places styro under his rocks when using gravel.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
BillD said:
prov356 said:

Just my .02.
It should not be an issue with acrylic tanks, but glass is a different story. The weight is not the issue, but the risk of point loading when using gravel is. A glass tank that has a raised bottom, is at risk for a point load fracture. I also don't think egg crate is necessarily the right product since you can get point loading using it. Risk level may slight but I know someone who lost 2 tanks to it and he now places styro under his rocks when using gravel.
I'll agree to disagree then. Glass, acrylic, eggcrate does nothing to protect tank bottoms. I've heard the point loading argument before. And, you're right, eggcrate does nothing to lessen that risk since sand can easily get under it. It would take a pretty precise presssure point, weight and/or impact for this to occur. Not impossible, but very unlikely and not something aquarists should be worried about IMHO. I've even asked tank manufacturer's about this. Their response was that it's a hobbyist thing, not something they recommend or suggest is needed. No one on CF has ever reported this, as far as I know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.