Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad to say but the local Petsmart has about 12 Acei for sale at 6 bucks a pop seems like a decent price? Other than venting any way to separate males from females?

These fish are about a inch+ long. I am looking to put 4 or 5 in a 110 gallon with 9 labs 1 demasoni, thoughts? FYI there are no fish in the 110 yet but soon :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, you think I could get away with more Dems?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Anecdotally re: demasoni, go big or go home... 1 or 12+

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do know about the numbers needed for Dems, for one I am not sure I want to deal with the headaches of having them IE the fighting killing and removing them, not that I couldn't I would rather just enjoy a peaceful tank.

What about Perlmutts reading up on them they look like the could be a good fit, with the labs,acei and 1 dem. Numbers wise maybe start with 5+ just don't know much about them?

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Perlmutt will crossbreed with your yellow labs if that matters to you.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So would I end up with a perlab or a yellowmutt?? :lol:

What are your thoughts on the Dems, I could do them, but are they worth the hassle in the long run with the other fish I have?

Any other thoughts on something else?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Of course to me demasoni are worth the trouble. Mine don't kill each other as long as I remove any rejected sub-dom males. Maybe one every six months. They lurk at the surface, so they are relatively easy to net. The biggest pain is selling them.

And my tank may be a little unique in that the reason I continuously have sub-dom males is that I have survivor fry maturing in the tank all the time. Otherwise, once the "male-count" was low enough I would achieve balance.

Finally, the reason for so many survivor fry in spite of the synodontis? I have an in-tank background with a space behind it. When a mom spits in the tank, the fry can swim through the grates and get behind the background. They grow up back there with no adult predation. Every so often I have to fish them out and flip them into the main tank. :lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
DJRansome said:
Of course to me demasoni are worth the trouble.
+1 :thumb:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I went to pick up the Acei at Petsmart and they were gone, when I asked about them evidently they all died,she said it happened all the time :eek:

So I bagged that place should have known! :roll:
Anyway I went to the local LFS and they ordered me 6 Acei and I also went with 4 Rustys along with the labs and Dem I already have should be a decent combo.

Anything else anyone may suggest I throw in there?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
JimA said:
Anyway I went to the local LFS and they ordered me 6 Acei and I also went with 4 Rustys along with the labs and Dem I already have should be a decent combo.

Anything else anyone may suggest I throw in there?
Your tank has the same footprint as a 75 gallon, so with 6 "acei" and 4 Rusties I would bump your lab numbers up to about 5 (if you're not there already). Either keep the lone demasoni or go for 12 or 15.

Or in short, go for four species.

Building on the species you already have would make for a very nice tank.

kevin

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took 5 male labs to the LFS this morning, left me with 4. 2 to small to vent 1 female and a male so will see what we get? Having a hard time finding more female labs.

Still thinking about the Demasoni's :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts