Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of older posts, trying to learn all I can. Acei's are recommended by everyone as a great starter fish, etc. They are also listed on the cookie cutter page for 55 gallon tanks. In a lot of posts people are saying they eventually outgrow the 55 gallon tank and will need a larger one. I was planning on having Acei's as one of 3 species i'll be putting in my tank. The thing is I don't want to upgrade to a larger tank, I have no plans for that. I don't want to put any fish in my tank that will need a larger tank at some point. Should I still get Acei or should I find a different species that won't get quite as large? I'd appreciate any opinions, thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way this is what I was thinking of, in case you hadn't looked at my other post.
Cynotilapia Afra (Cobue)
Pseudotrophius Sp.(Msuli)
Labidochromis Chisumulae

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don`t think u will get problems with the Acei.
They are a great starter fish and if u get 5-10 of them they will keep together. They like large groups.
I have 10 in my tank and they are quite nice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok then. My only other question about this stocking is numbers. It looks like ideally we want 1m:4f ratio with each species. Should I buy 6 of each and then return a couple as they mature and the sex becomes apparent? The only other fish that will be in this tank is a pleco/catfish to be determind and i'll probably get 2 of that. Should I get 6 of each species? Which would be 18 juveniles and then plan on returning some as they mature?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you are good to go....
I had Black Tanzania Acei's for about three years. I had about four generations inbreeding like ******** in my 55. :lol:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have 3 "adult" acei, 1m2f, and they're perfectly happy, and tend to school even in small groups. I also have a baby who's still not willing to leave the cover of rocks, but I suspect he'll be joining them soon enough. He's practicing with my other tiny saulosi.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think they're a viable choice for sure. I have a dominant male who has passed 6" and looks to be heading for 7, who constantly harasses the lone 5.5" subdominant male in a 6' tank (he's pretty randy with the girsl too!). He's a real piggy who stands out like a sore thumb next to dwarf mbuna. They're definitely not one of the more troublesome species but in a 4' tank I'd have to shoot for 1 male if it was this guy. They would be somewhat larger than the other mbuna you're considering. If that would create an imbalance in the visual effect you're trying to achieve, well that's another thing...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have 3 yellow tailed acei in my 55g. tank. I think I have one male and 2 females as the one is now the biggest (about 4") does the " shimmy" occasionally, and has 2 egg spots where the others only have one. Like Laurel said, 3 school together fine. I'm trying to get a 5 ft. tank but I think they would be ok in a 48" 55g. tank as long as there weren't to many, like 3-4 at the most. They mostly stay up higher in the tank and I think really add alot to a tank. My other fish even swim up higher in the tank now too after adding the acei.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information. I am definitely going to get Labidochromis Chisumulae and Cynotilapia Afra (Cobue). I am not 100% sure I want Acei but I have time to decide. A part of my would rather have more of a smaller size fish than 3-4 of a larger fish. We'll see.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Linka said:
They are a great starter fish and if u get 5-10 of them they will keep together. They like large groups.
4 or 5 would be plenty in a 55G tank...Not 10, unless you plan to go single species!

Kim

·
Registered
77 Posts
cichlidaholic said:
Linka said:
4 or 5 would be plenty in a 55G tank...Not 10, unless you plan to go single species!

Kim
I have 142 g so my ten school good in my tank. For 55 g 4-5 is plenty yes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts