Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's my problem. I have started my cichlid collection with pseudotropheus acei that I purchased on as fry on craigslist. I had 24 to start with and have grown them all, after a year some were around 5" some were still around 2.5" they were flashing and trying to attract mates ever since they were around 1.5" I have had a good mix of and females, with a bit more males. they never spawned. so I started selling off some of the smaller males, now im down to six altogether with 2 males and 4 females. I am watching them as I type and some are still flashing and shaking all around. chasing the females.

I have them in a 55 gallon with a corner full of caves and some plants and a good area of black sand substrate for them to dig their pits, which they do. I change water and sometimes I try to hoax them into it by slowly draining the water over a week and increasing the temp, still no spawning.

I have pretty hard water here and my water quality is very good, lots of circulation and oversized bubblers give good aeration.

in the meantime my two yellow labs have spawned 4 times already in the past half a year and I am getting fed up with the acei.

Is there something that im missing? is it because they are all sibling that they wont reproduce? I love breeding them and raising them from fry, what suggestions do you have?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What are you feeding them? Sometimes it's a matter of diet as well. Generally, the right is food important to condition the female to produce eggs and be willing to spawn.

Maybe don't try fiddling with water levels and temps, just leave things be. I almost never change my routine for water changes and temp, and my tank(including Acei) is like a never ending maternity ward.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed them mostly spirulina aglae wafers and sparsely mix it with hikari cichlid pellets and thats it.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Are they alone in the tank?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I've read that brine shrimp will sometimes induce spawning.
Also cooler water when refilling after a water change (nothing too drastic that will shock them) can induce spawning as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm, they are in there with yellow labs, a pair of blue kenyii, a pair of very fertile red zebra cichlids and a pair of female bumblebees, Plus a pictus cat and a small common pleco. the plants I have are amazon swords and java fern(which the munch on). I will try the cooler water next time I do a water change.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The pairs of kenyi and bumblee are most likely your problem. Since they are very aggressive fish, they are most likely competing for your acei females and preventing them from breeding. If you want to breed, reduce your species down to two or three, since five species in a 55 gallon is too much in my opinion. I would lose the Kenyi and Bumblees, add more yellow labs, zebras and acei. Then again, dropping the zebras too and just keeping labs and acei will be better for success.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
I agree with dielikemoviestars and Timkat4867. I will add that I found my acei only rarely spawned when sharing a tank with Demasoni. They did not seem stressed, but just did not spawn. (Yellow labs and red zebras seemed to have no problem.)

Try some changes to your stocking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
I agree with dielikemoviestars and Timkat4867. I will add that I found my acei only rarely spawned when sharing a tank with Demasoni. They did not seem stressed, but just did not spawn. (Yellow labs and red zebras seemed to have no problem.)

Try some changes to your stocking.
well that sounds familiar... I will try this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts