Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 3.5-4" long male p. acei ngara (white tail) about a week ago and he has yet to eat anything. He is currently by himself in a tank. I've been trying to feed him the same spirulina flakes that all my other mbuna eat but he doesnt even try and eat it. The first day i saw him go for a piece, spit it out, and swim away. I havent seen him poo so not sure if its white or anything. He swims around all day playing in the sand and moving little pebbles. He looks super healthy. Great colors and very clear eyes. Stomach looks pretty even (maybe slightly sunken).

Any ideas?

I'm not too worried because I have had fish in the past that took a while to adapt to flakes or to start eating but I would like some input. Thanks

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'd give it another week. Of course if you see any deterioration or bloat-like symptoms (thready white poop) then you may need to medicate. Possibly still settling in.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i have some good news. The acei is eating but he still will not go up to the top and grab the food. After about 2-3 minutes the food gets wet and starts sinking so he grabs it when it gets close to the bottom. Moving in the right direction but if he does not go up to the top and grab the food he will never eat. My other fish freak out when i drop food in their tank. He might would get a few pieices that sink but i'm going to give him some more time and hope he learns to go to the top and grab the food.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Apart from a few, most of my mbuna don't eat from the top, they wait until the food falls (NLS sinking pellets). I believe this is a natural aversion to the water's surface to avoid predatory birds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts