Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to cichlids so I don't know if Aceis are jumpers or not. I have head my full load of fish for only 7 days. The Aceis were the last ones to come. There are 4 demasonis, 4 yellow labs and 4 (now 3) Aceis. My tank is a 36 inches, 46 gallon tank but they will be moved to a 75 gallons this summer.

I used to have a piece of thin wood to block the hole on my top but since I added an artificial plant, I didn't think I needed it because it was blocking more than 80% of the open space. Unfortunately this fish found a way and jumped. I found it this morning, completely dry. I have put the piece of wood back.

My nitrates were above 40 ppm yesterday, slowly building up from about 10-20 ppm over the last WC, a week ago. I did a 25% WC and vacuumed the substrate this morning, as I do every week.

Here are my questions :

- Are Aceis and cichlids in general avid jumpers or was the fish trying to get more oxygen because of nitrate build-up or not enough water movement ? (I have a Fluval 407 on the tank and there is a lot of water agitation, on top, but also at all levels of the tank).

- What is the best media to help keep nitrates in check ? (I know water changes, plants, feeding and bio-loads need to be taken into account but I'm looking for other ways on top of that).

- Should I add water movement and if so, with what ? (Power head, spray bar, other ?)

Thank you !

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
All Africans are jumpers and more so when there is chasing (common with Malawi) because the fleeing fish does not realize he is going to propel himself out of the tank. The tank should be completely covered.

Change 50% of the water today and 50% tomorrow to get down to 10ppm. Thereafter change 50% weekly or even more than 50% if your nitrates are above 20ppm.

Regarding nitrates, you either remove sources or find ways to remove the nitrates. Removing the source is less fish and/or less food. Removing the nitrates themselves is removing water or having a large number of fast growing plants to utilize the nitrates as fertilizer.

Water movement just moves the toxins around and it does not remove the nitrates.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
All Africans are jumpers and more so when there is chasing (common with Malawi) because the fleeing fish does not realize he is going to propel himself out of the tank. The tank should be completely covered.

Change 50% of the water today and 50% tomorrow to get down to 10ppm. Thereafter change 50% weekly or even more than 50% if your nitrates are above 20ppm.

Regarding nitrates, you either remove sources or find ways to remove the nitrates. Removing the source is less fish and/or less food. Removing the nitrates themselves is removing water or having a large number of fast growing plants to utilize the nitrates as fertilizer.

Water movement just moves the toxins around and it does not remove the nitrates.
Tank is fully covered now. He jumped through a very small hole, the size of a quarter. I have one less fish now which should help. I won't buy anymore until I get a bigger tank, and even then I'll wait to make sure the nitrates levels aren't too high.

I know water movement doesn't do anything for nitrates, but I was asking in case the fish was jumping because of poor oxygen levels, which would be helped with more movement.

I'll do another WC tomorrow and up the WC to 50% per week. Thank you !

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
It is not related to nitrates or oxygen...it is related to chasing.

It is amazing how small an opening those jumpers can find...I had a true petricola (hard to find) jump out of a tank that was fully covered except for the smallest opening for the filter intakes and return.

They also like to slither over my in-tank background...every time I fill the tank to the level of the background I find some mbuna and/or catfish in the one inch slot behind the background.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
It is not related to nitrates or oxygen...it is related to chasing.

It is amazing how small an opening those jumpers can find...I had a true petricola (hard to find) jump out of a tank that was fully covered except for the smallest opening for the filter intakes and return.

They also like to slither over my in-tank background...every time I fill the tank to the level of the background I find some mbuna and/or catfish in the one inch slot behind the background.
Good to know, thank you !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts