Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fry tank in my kitchen. I recently stripped an acei and noticing some of the 'fry' should be moved to the juvie tank I set up a bottle trap in the tank to hold the fry for a week or two to let them eat and fill out a bit. I then proceeded to clean up the kitchen and nudge the bottle and it fell in, allowing the other fish to swim in and out freely. Now the biggest fish in there were still under an inch (3/4 inch maybe) and maybe about 10-12 of them. None of the Acei fry were in there. Do you think the sub one inch fish ate them...the biggest guys were Estherae and Mainganos....or as I hope the fry swam out the top and are now hiding among the plants/gravel?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Its possible a few of the fry survived to go into the rocks and plants. Most likely the other fry ate them. I've seen three week old fry make short work of newborn fry.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my bottle traps will def be more secure from now on. How old do fry have to be before they can be let out of the bottle trap with 1/2 to 3/4 inch fish in the tank?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I usually keep newly released fry seperate for two weeks. Not sure about releasing new fry with 3/4 inch fry. They might see the new guys as a snack. The biggest I've ever released with is 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a look in the maternity tank and there were 9 early escapers still in there so they are now alive and well in a well secured bottle trap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts