Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I just had two Acei females spawn. I have ~ 80 fry that I plan to raise until juveniles. Right now they are in a 10 gallon tank. They are about a week old now. Is this going to be sufficient to raise them in until I sell them to aquarium store/online? At what size is acceptable to ship if needed? I am certain my local aquarium store will not take a ton of them as they keep a fairly limit stock. So far very healthy and growing quick.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
For 80 acei I would want a bunch of 55G tanks. Why are you saving all of them? I don't like to buy juveniles that are smaller than 2 inches including the tail.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
Since mbuna are so prolific we usually let the mothers spit the fry in the tank.

Another good use for extra fry is to take them to a club auction and sell them or donate them. But maybe keep 20 instead of 80 unless you already have more than one spare 55G tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, maybe I should just put many of them back in the community tank and let them be food. My wife wanted to save them, but circle of life. lol Maybe I will let her keep a few to grow out.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
Yes auctions are difficult now with COVID. How many extras do you need in your main tank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am at capacity in my main tank. 55 gallon stocked with 6 yellow tail Acei, 6 yellow labs, 2 catifish.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
Yes that is overstocked because Acei are on the large size for a 55G.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts