Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first time posting because I can usually find any questions I have by googling, but I cannot seem to find any information on this subject.

My Acei cichlid, who is named Roxas, eats (and always has eaten) a lot. We got him about 6-8 months ago along with a red top hongi and a peacock. (The hongi, unfortunately passed away about 2 months ago, cause unknown). We started them on the TetraCichlid granules, and Roxas would always go crazy trying to eat as much as possible. He would literally inhale them. He grew very quickly and became pretty fat. We really didn't think much of it because we started adding more fish to the tank and it seemed to balance out, although he was still eating more than everyone, he wasn't eating as much because they would have to share.

Here is where it gets complicated: The fish are getting too big for the granules so, we started feeding them the Tetra sticks, breaking them into 1/4 because I am afraid they are going to choke, but Roxas will grab 6-8 of them at a time in his mouth, then spit them out to grab more, but then also eat the ones he spit out. I am concerned about what to do because if I put more food in the tank, he eats it and he is starting to cloud the water by spitting them out.

What should I do? Or, What is wrong with him? Please help!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Some fish are just greedy eaters. My Acei also are always first in line to eat. They actually get a belly on them right after eating more than the others do. I just have been not feeding them one day a week to kinda clean them out and prevent bloat if at all possible. Also I sprinkle some food on one side of the tank and while the Acei are going nuts over there I quick put some in on the other side so the others get a chance of getting more.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Don't go to larger food. Stick with the smaller stuff and spread it out across the tank. They don't outgrow food. The smaller food is fine. They pick at very small food particles, typically, in the lake. If the others are getting enough to grow and be healthy and the acei is still getting fat, then you're feeding too much. Don't try to help the others by feeding more.

·
Registered
587 Posts
prov356 said:
Don't go to larger food. Stick with the smaller stuff and spread it out across the tank. They don't outgrow food. The smaller food is fine. They pick at very small food particles, typically, in the lake. If the others are getting enough to grow and be healthy and the acei is still getting fat, then you're feeding too much. Don't try to help the others by feeding more.
+1
I agree, go with small foods so all the fish have a chance to feed.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I do what xxben does. I attract the begging ones to one side, and drop some for the more shy, hiding ones on the other side. Be careful not too overfeed though--the hungry ones will go hunt up the extra food you dropped in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts