Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My acei spit her babies (30!) a few weeks ago and have reached about a cm or so in length. She was holding again and having only 2 tanks i put her in with the older fry. In the morning i went down to check on her and her mouth was empty and there was no sign of new fry in the tank.
I did spot ONE tiny little gut wedged between a few rocks but could not find any others after a thorough search. What happened? Where they eaten? By who?
I was really excited to have more fry but don't know where the went. :x

·
Registered
442 Posts
Most likely they were eaten by the other tank mates or mom herself. You might see a stray if you've got small spaces between the rocks big enough for babies only.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The older fry were still in the tank i hope?

She must of not felt secure enough to let them go or she gave into hunger.

That or the older fry ate them.

I use a 3way breeder so the fry can escape the mother and not be mixed with other fry.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Newly released fry don't have what it takes to evade older fry, no matter how small they might be. You can sometimes get away with it by providing lots of hiding places for the new fry, but even then, you may lose some of them.

I'm surprised mom didn't eat the older fry!

Kim

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when should i move mom back cause she was getting a little beat up? I'm just afraid she'll do exactly that, eat the other fry.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Try reintroducing her at "lights out" for the evening.

It's best if you have a hospital tank to keep her in alone for a couple of days to feed her and let her get her strength back, but everyone doesn't have that option. That's the main reason I strip when I do it...I can control how long they hold and how much of a toll it takes on the mother.

I would remove her from the fry ASAP.

Kim

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you do want to add new fry with older fry its best to put the new fry in a breeder net and feed them in that for about a week or so. It helps them kinda get their feet under them, so to speak.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the same problem, had two moms release in my fry tank and both times no fry. Apparently the older fry were eating all of the new fry.

Now i put the mom in a breeder net to release her fry, then i leave the fry in the net until they are large enough where they don't fit in the other fishes' mouths.

As for when to put the mom back in the main tank, if the fry in the fry tank are too big for her to eat then i leave her in there for a few days to gain some strength. But i always re-introduce the female to the main tank after the lights have been out for a while, and if posable re-arrange some of the decor to give the fish something to do other than bother the female.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.