Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DId a search here and didn't turn up anything less than several years old - probably because the advice has remained the same. Just to be sure...

What's the recommended procedure these days for acclimating newly imported wild-caught fish? (Tanganyikans that only arrived in the U.S. two weeks before they're being shipped cross-country to me.) Float closed bag in aquarium a short while to equalize temperature, cut open bag and pour fish into net (the bagged water going into a bucket) and then dump fish from net into aquarium? Or ...?

And how soon to start feeding?

Gerry

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Just an educated guess but it would be helpful to know what the vendor/person that imported the fish was keeping their water parameters at so you could mimic those same conditions. Otherwise I would follow the equalize temperature in closed bag by floating, cut bag and pour fish through a net and place them directly in new tank.

Which species did you get?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree wholeheartedly, Deeda. I asked the vendor about his water parameters (repeatedly), but all he told me was that his "pH is 8-ish."

I'm getting 5 adult Neolamprologus mustax and 2 juvenile N. sexfasciatus (BLUE!) collected at Mbita Island. An awesome way to get back into the hobby after being away so long (and missing it the entire time)! I can't tell you how excited I am! :D

Gerry

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
I did make a mistake in my post above, I actually do have some wild caught Steatocranus mpozoensis I picked up at a club auction and they were from a local fish store that had them on their imported list. I also couldn't get details on specific water parameter just that they were kept in Cleveland Ohio water. I just did the bag float for temperature and netted directly into the tank and they are still doing well, didn't lose any of the 5 fish I got.

I would just shoot for an 8 pH at least at the start and then adjust to your local tap water unless it's noticeably lower. I didn't check your other posts but what is your tap water pH both directly from the tap and then after a 24 hour rest period?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well water, pH 8.0 out of the tap and rises to 8.2 with a bit of aeration and warming, low iron but quite mineral-rich (and thus hard). In other words, presumably great for Tanganyikans! :)

Gerry

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Gerry, I think you will be just fine.

My well water is stable at around 7.6/7.8 pH, medium iron content and hard. It works great for my Tangs and 1 tank with Malawi cichlids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts