Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.....fortunately, my fish are arriving tomorrow instead of Wednesday. I'm pretty excited, but trying to remain hopeful that everything will be ok.

I know about acclimating fish when you first take them home, but I wanted to know if there was a certain way to acclimate a fish that has been shipped through the mail, FedEx, etc. I realize that they are "drugged" with tranquilizers, but should they be acclimated longer? Any help here is appreciated. I checked the parameters in the tank, and everything is good to go.

Apologies if this went to the wrong section.

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
less than 20 nitrate
8.0 Ph

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Float the bag in the tank where the fish will go for 15 minutes. Net the fish from the bag into the tank. Discard bag water.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Sometimes it can do more harm than good. Many fishkeepers recommend getting the fish out of the bag water as soon as possible. I always ask my vendor what pH he keeps them at, and I might try to match the quarantine tank to the vendor pH if it is very different than mine, but that's it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Depends on the quality of shipping and what temp their water is at. For shipped fish It's my understanding to take your time compare to fish purchased locally.

I put mine in tank water for 20-30 mins to acclimate temps.

Put in 5 gallon bucket and gradually add more tank water every 5 minutes or so.

Net em and put em in tank.

Does anyone else do it this way? Just the way the shipper recommended.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When I was younger I just put the bag into the tank and floated it for 20-30 minutes, I would then simply cut the bag and empty the fish and bag water into my tank.

I soon learnt that was the wrong way to do it. I then started netting them and discarding the water.

I have never used a quarantine tank though but have considered doing so for when I set up my next tank. How does it actually work though? Say for example I buy 6 yellow labs and 6 Afra (purer for an example) and they come bagged in 3's. Would you just put all 12 fish into your quarantine tank together? How long for?

Also, would the quarantine tank have water in it purely from the main tank?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey bud, what did you end up ordering??

+1 to Ransome, I sometimes add a cup of tank water to the bag and then float an additional 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you are going to add any tank water, it's a good idea to put a few drops of a good conditioner(prime, amquel) in the bag water first. This will lock up any possible ammonia buildup in the bag, which becomes more toxic as the pH gets higher. This was recommended to me by at least 2 well known dealers when dripping/adding water. But I've used both DJ's method, and the latter, never any problems.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
ther is a good reason not to float the bag and it has to do with the possibility that the outside of the bag has picked up some fish pathogen from the bagging table. The reason to get the fish out of the shipping bag as quickly as possible is because as soon as you open the bag, the excess CO2 will vent off and you will have a large rise in pH (unless the water was acidy to begin with.) The rise in pH will do no harm, but the conversion of non toxic ammonium to toxic ammonia caused by the pH going above 7 creates a dangerous (to the fish) situation, that can damage or kill the fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts