Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. So I walk into my classroom about an hour ago and my students are freaking out. There are saying, Your fish had babies!! Your fish had babies!!" So I go over there are sure enough there is a p'ed off mother flaring at me as I look into to the tank. I also notice about (from a quick glance) about 20 fry. I did not notice them this morning as they were pigging out. Here is the thing. There are 7 other fish (all the same species) in there with them, and I have no tank to transfer anyone to.

Fish: What I believe is Thorichtys sp. blue or green mixteco. When they were sold to me they were referred to as Mixteco cichlids. There were 8 1 inch fry and they were a dollar for the bag.

They are in a 40 breeder with some cover, which is being hogged by the other fish. Any thoughts or should I try to click a quick photo of them before they become food?

Also, I looked again about 20 minutes ago and saw none of them. Are they already eaten, or are these guys mouth brooders? Nothing in their profile says anything about that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took another peek in the tank. I see the fry, but noticed something else. The "mother" Has the darkes baring on the body, and a super red lower jaw area. From the profile this sounds like a male. Ya???

·
Registered
799 Posts
So you've got 9 mixteco in a 40g brd?

The 'mother' is in breeding dress and you cannot sex them by those colors.

If you want the fry to survive, I'd remove them. Most likely, the others will pick off the fry until there are none left.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup. 8 sub adults total. I am going to have to kiss the fry goodbye. I am having to tear down tanks for the summer and setting up a fry tank is out of the question. The admin. at school is pissed enough at the fact that I leave 4 of the 9 set up over the summer and there is a new 110 tall sitting in the space outside of my room for a summer Mbuna project that I am getting to start pretty quick now. At least I know they will breed and can set up accordingly next year. I am suspicious of the ID based on what I have seen on line vs. what I have in the tank. I am going to try to snap a few pics in the morning and post them for an for sure ID. If they are Mixteo, what should the ideal setup look like for the group? I have not seen any "aggression" to date. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts