Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to site so pardon me if I do something wrong. I recently had 3 accei's to die. Started out with spots on fins and then ther body turned white like skin was coming of. All three died with no other fishing having this problem. I now have a demanosi and a venestus that have a white film over there eye that looks to be pilling off. I am currently treating the whole tank now (since it seems that several fish are becoming infected) with melafix and pima fix does anyone have any ideas what my problem may be.

Also not an illness but I have been having some trouble with red algae on my glass. I do 25% water change every week and a 1/2 and nothing seems to help. I have had my lights off for the past 3 days treating the tank and it has gotten worse during this time. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hard to say just by the description. Could you snap a few photos and post them up on here so we can see what is going on?

Also how long has the tank been setup, what are you water parameters (PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia), What is the complete stocking of the tank and the size of the tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
The description sounds a little like columnaris. Maybe if you Google it you will see pics that will help you diagnose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot. I think it may be columnaris. I have done several water changes and treated the tank with melafix and pimafix. No other fish seem to be ill at this time. It only killed my 3 accei before I could cure. Not sure why they were the only ones effected. Should I be concerned or just keep frequent water changes for a while?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I would separate the sick fish into a hospital tank and start treatment with Maracyn and Maracyn2 as soon as possible.

While it is contagious, I also had a "healthy" fish live alongside a fish that eventually died of columnaris and never contract the disease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts