Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone in my area is selling an Aquaclear 110 for a really good price. I could use a second one for my oscar tank. The only thing is, it doesn't have the media basket. Will it still work ok?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I will. Providing it's not sold yet. I really could use a second filter for my oscar and it's only $25.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You need the media basket because it directs the water from the intake to the bottom of the media chamber where the water then rises through the media and over the overflow into the tank. Without the basket water may or may not pass through the media, most likely it will take the path of least resistance and bypass any mechanical filtering media. I'd think you could find a replacement basket for a few dollars at a good pet shop though.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I may be able to make a media basket myself out of plastic canvas.

·
Registered
678 Posts
the media basket on AC filters is only half perforated, there's some solid areas and ridges along the bottom to encourage flow from the bottom up. You may be able to make your own basket, but I doubt the water would flow through the filter as intended without the original AquaClear basket.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be happier getting the correct part, problem is, I need a place that ships to canada :lol: . Anyone point me in the right direction?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts