Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got done swapping out an Emperor 400 with an AC 110 (brand new) and when I go to adjust the flow from max to minimum, it doesn't seem to really do anything. The flow seems to stay the same and I don't see the water level in the chamber go down at all like you see in the smaller Aquaclears. I'm going to assume this is normal considering the amount of water and the output length the 110 holds and puts out compared to the smaller ones.

Any thoughts? Either way yay for no more expensive emperor catridges! :roll:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is the intake properly seated when you move it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
adam0444 said:
Is the intake properly seated when you move it?
Yep. The intake tube and the black "ring" are both on and seated properly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well that's weird than i don't know. You would usually see a dramatic decrease in the amount of water flowing out. Sorry

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would say its normal,mine is the same anyway,there is a difference in flow rate but not very much,the smaller acs I have ,the intake tube clicks or snaps into position,while the 110 doesnt

·
Registered
688 Posts
My AC110 doesn't show much difference in the flow rate. The ones I had years ago did because there was a knob you twisted on top on the intake tube. Now you just slide the intake over and it doesn't seem to work very well as far as limiting flow.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PfunMo said:
You mention the Emperor cartidge expense. Have you considered alternates to using the ready made item? I think many people switch to cheaper stuff that works quite well in most filters. The carbon is not needed so I use a blue /wht bonded pad and cut it to fit.
This is one that I use:
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefr...e-bonded-filter-pad/prodmagnumfilterpads.html
I guess I was meaning to hint more at the fact that the AC has nothing else you need to buy seeing as you just rinse and rinse and rinse the sponge till it decides to degrade. I suppose the same could be said about the bonded pad too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just putting it out there in case it's being overlooked...

Is the light grey cap present on top of the pump head? Without it moving the tube won't make a difference in the flow rate.

:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alpha7 said:
Just putting it out there in case it's being overlooked...

Is the light grey cap present on top of the pump head? Without it moving the tube won't make a difference in the flow rate.

:)
Indeed it is. So forth though regardless of the flow "issue" I forgot how much I missed the AC's in the first place. I will always have a soft spot for emperors though :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ensorcelled said:
Indeed it is. So forth though regardless of the flow "issue" I forgot how much I missed the AC's in the first place. I will always have a soft spot for emperors though :lol:
Yeah, I love AC's. They work fantasic on my smaller tanks, and are so easy to work with.

I would hazard a guess that the grey flow restrictor cap in your unit is slightly warped, or maybe caught up on something, twisting it a little bit. The flow restrictor cap needs to mate properly to the inlet tube and the pump head or it may as well not even be there.

:cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alpha7 said:
Ensorcelled said:
You are talking about the intake stem adapter correct? Picture for reference below;

http://www.petmountain.com/photos/11442 ... 522219.jpg (not trying to advertise or anything)
no :)

here is a parts diagram:
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/ ... Parts.html

part #15516415 is what restricts the flow. If it is missing, not seated right, warped or twisted, it will affect the flow rate.

:cool:
Ahhh yeah, It's definitely in there alright. Doesn't seem to be warped or anything unless its just hiding it somehow. Hopefully not though seeing as its brand new straight outta the box :-?

However, I just noticed after adjusting the flow to min again that there is a very small and slight decrease in water in the chamber and a noticeable lighter flow hitting the water so I'm gonna assume its working as intended heh

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
m1ke715m said:
why would you want to restric the flow? let that bad boy do what it does best
Not that I don't want it to always be on max, I just find that slowing the flow down to the "min" setting helps out a little with feeding is all.

G

·
have you ever thought about using a pre filter sponge on the sponge intake.. im assuming that you wanna restrict the flow while feeding to minimize the amount of food that gets sucked up by the filter... or is it cuz you dont want the food raining down into the tank? the prefilter sponges work real well i used to have to turn off the hob filter for a few min utes while feeding now i dont u jus gota push the food off the sponge if alot gets stuck on it

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a question about my AC110. Is it just me or does the lid not fit properly on top the filter. It seems as if the intake tube is blocking the lid from fitting flush. I pushed down on the intake tube to ensure it was seated all the way down. just curious if this is a design flaw or perhaps i need to take a closer look. Thanks

Jeff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts