Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
Joined
·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jrf said:
Yup, you can use Prime. It doesn't actually remove ammonia, it just binds to it and makes it non-toxic to the fish. This bound ammonia is still usable by the bacteria.
Great thanks for the help!! :thumb:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question...it says it detoxifies nitrite and nitrate. Will that slow down the cycling process?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,006 Posts
60gallon said:
One more question...it says it detoxifies nitrite and nitrate. Will that slow down the cycling process?
No. The ammonia/nitrite is still available to the bacteria, so it'll have no effect. Not sure why they put that on the bottle about nitrates. Maybe because thay can? :) Nitrates aren't seriously toxic anyway and are usually dilluted through water changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,422 Posts
prov356 said:
60gallon said:
Nitrates aren't seriously toxic anyway and are usually dilluted through water changes.
I once had over 20ppm on a salt water reef tank and a yellow tang stopped eating! Prime did the trick and a week later the Tang started eating. An algae scrubber later and nitrates hit zero. Nitrate may be more toxic than we give it credit for... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,006 Posts
I hear you, but not a fair comparison. Salt water is, of course, a very different animal and nitrates often need to be monitored more closely. I don't suggest we ignore nitrates, but they're just not in the same league as ammonia/nitrite, and I find it amusing that that would be put on the bottle. A bit misleading to hobbyists also, freshwater anyway. Nitrates in a freshwater tank don't need to be detoxed with a bottled product. Don't get me started on 'you-know-who'. I won't mention the vendor name. :)
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top