Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought maybe it was time to ask some of our friends from other countries for their thoughts on a small problem I have. I placed a Craigslist ad and got a rather strange answer. Since Craigslist is sometimes a strange place, my first thought was to ignore it. But then I would like to sell my item so thought I might poll the group for info.

I did not include my number in the ad but let them respond by e-mail so getting a request to call them is not unexpected. What is unusual (to me) is the number.

Do any of you folks recognize a number of this sort? (003) 669-XXXX
I live in an area where there are many visiting from out of the country. Is it possible that this is a cell phone from somewhere or is it a joke/scam, etc. of some sort?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That or it could be a friend messing with you. On my Andriod phone I have an App that changes ur number on caller id. I would call my GF from 715-867-5309 once in awhile to mess w her
:-? :-? :-?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm writing it off as something stupid. I already have the buyers I need so no need to guestion what this one meant. Reverse lookup would not work as it is not a valid area code. Probably some goofy that thought he had a new idea of some sort. Giving phones to junior high age kids isn't going to help that situation much.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I notice when I list stuff on c,list I always get someone asking to buy what I am selling, but they can't get it person because they out of the country. :roll: They are willing to pay in some bogus way and have a random company pick up the item. :lol: Pretty obvious it's a scam but I will get two or three per listings, when I tell them cash only I don't hear back from them.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I'm used top that sort of offer. This time with a phone number seemed somewhat right but then wrong at the same time. From this country there is no way that phone number will work to call anywhere I know about. The only question now seems to be, what value does the sender see in sending me a bogus number to call???? I guess it just prove one doesn't have to know very much to try to be a joker or scammer. I still get offers to buy magazines I sold before moving several years ago. At some point if they want to be effective, it would seem to require getting a list of new e-mail at least.

·
Registered
295 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
That or it could be a friend messing with you. On my Andriod phone I have an App that changes ur number on caller id. I would call my GF from 715-867-5309 once in awhile to mess w her
:-? :-? :-?
Whenever the cashiers at stores ask me for my phone number during the check out process I tell them it's 867-5309... and I sing the "9" :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
It looks like an international exhange that came up funny on your caller ID. 00 is the equivalent of the + sign when calling between european countries, so 0036 or +36 would be Hungary. Were there more digits than normal too?

Sounds like a scam to me unless you're selling something incredibly hard to find.

·
Registered
623 Posts
JimA said:
I notice when I list stuff on c,list I always get someone asking to buy what I am selling, but they can't get it person because they out of the country. :roll: They are willing to pay in some bogus way and have a random company pick up the item. :lol: Pretty obvious it's a scam but I will get two or three per listings, when I tell them cash only I don't hear back from them.
Normally this would be a warning sign. However my sister just sold her old Subaru outback in Collingwood Ontario, Canada, which she listed online. A man from ALASKA replied, got a friend a few hours nearby to bring by the money. He then arrived 3 days later picked up the car and headed back to Alaska. Im not even joking the guy drove a couple thousand KM's or Miles just for a crappy car. He said its his favourite car for the terrain and he has like 22 of them that he fixes and sells up there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts