1 electric blue hap
1 yellow blaze hap
1 sunshine peacock
1 otter point peacock
1 rostratum peacock
1 rainbow shark
1 pleco

all are at least 5".

i'd like to add a schooling fish just to liven things up a bit. i once added tiger barbs in with mbuna and they got ripped to shreds almost instantly. should i expect the same out of this mix of peacocks/haps? what about giant danios?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have seen giant danios work. Another option worth trying would be rainbowfish or maybe even Buenos Aires tetras. Rainbows make good dithers, but not sure if they'd school or not. I think that getting any larger fish to school in a 50 gallon tank is going to be tough unless they are constantly under assault.

In general, your haps/peacocks shouldn't be nearly as bad as mbuna, but you never know.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would LOVE to do tiger barbs but when i put them in with my mbuna even my labs and acei were trying to eat them. they are only 99 cents so it's not a big loss but i'd feel bad, especially making the same mistake twice. you don't think the peacocks and haps would think of them as food?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have had great luck with giant Danios, they are quick enough to avoid serious attacks and tend to school in the upper portion unless its dinner time. I currently have 30+ in my tank and they look pretty cool. I have tried rainbows but they are expensive and don't like the hard water. It defiantly brings the fish out of hiding, I had 10 in my 125 and when I took them out to cycle the 400 all the mbuna disappeared into caves.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The only guy you have in there that is a true piscivore is the S. fryeri and they only go after juvenile fish typically. I'd say the bigger concern would be territorial aggression.

Shoot - I'd say try the barbs again.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i've tried very large giant danios and 6 lasted the fryeri about 3 days, seemed like every time i walked by the tank he had a tail hanging out of his mouth. i think larger rainbows would be a better choice since they're body is a little taller, maybe even large congo tetras.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my s. fryeri is extremely laid back. i've never seen any aggression whatsoever out of him, which was surprising because i had heard they can be pretty nasty. of course that doesn't mean he doesn't like to eat. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts