Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This is my first time to these forums so I hope you all can help me out with a question that I have.

I have had an Electric Blue Ahli for several months now and I am noticing that his rear fins have become extremely spotted (The spots are mostly clear but sometime turn red in the light) and are starting to turn a shade of reddish brown. I don't know what is going on with them.

He seems fine in all other regards. He is about 4 inches long, a bit territorial and very active since I put him in a new tank.

His diet used to consist solely of Beef Heart as that is what my local pet store told me to feed him.

He used to live alone with a Rubber lip Pleco and three Cory catfish in a 20 gallon tank. I recently transfered him into a 55 gallon tank and put several more fish in with him, including: An electric yellow cichlid, a Jewel Cichlid, a Zebra Cichlid, a Trophus Cichlid, and a Blood Parrot South American Cichlid.

I know the South American is a little out of place in my african tank, but he is doing fine I believe.

So if any of you know if the color change in my Electric Blues fins is normal or something that I need to take care of please let me know.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A picture wouldnt be out of place for this kindof thing.

Now - is this a discoloration (all around bad looking color, mucky looking, etc.) or a normal color change?

If it is discoloration it could be a side effect from hormones that big box stores (I.E. Petsmart and Petco) use on their fish to make them more 'sellable'. If this is what it is the fish will return to normal eventually - just give it time.

The more likely thing (given that it is only the fins) is that it is a male coming into full color

I'm sure that is what it looks like, correct? If so you have a nice male. Those spots are for breeding purposes - they are called 'egg spots'.

More important here is your stocking list and tank size. The Electric Blue Ahli (Sciaenochromis Fryeri) grow to around 6-7". This fish simply needs a six foot tank to thrive. A 75 gallon four-footer is a minimum for this fish.

The Parrot will by and far inevitable outgrow this aquarium and, like you said, is out of place. The Jewel and the Parrot require totally different water chemistry than the other two fish and would probably do much better if you traded them in and let them go to another home.

I know someone will probably respond decrying what I'm about to say but w/e:
The Tropheus is the only tank mate here that I would keep if you wanted. It has a closer diet and water chemistry requirements (on that count I exclude the Zebra) to the Fryeri than any of the others and would make feeding a much simpler task.
Most Mbunas feed primarily on veggies so I would ditch the Zebra.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the bottom most fin does look like that but it is a little more reddish. The rear most fin and the very back of the dorsal fin are turning the same color. I thought it might just be his coloration but I wanted to post just to make sure.

I was wondering what types of fish I should substitute the parrot and the jewel for? I am trying to keep just one of each kind of fish, that way I can tell them apart.

Again thank you for your help.

I will post a picture as soon as I can.

·
Registered
321 Posts
55 gallon tank, right?

I'd keep only the Fryeri, and add three or four more male Malawi haps or peacocks (each being a different species that doesn't grow to more than six or seven inches) and leave it at that.

Here are some easily acquirable, desirable, easy to care for and recognize species that I recommend:

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Lemon Jake" variety
Copadichromis mloto
Placidochromis electra
Aulonocara "Ruby Red" peacocks
Otopharynx lithobates
Aulonocara stuartgranti Ngara
a Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Lab) is not a hap or peacock but would work anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my experience with "Electric Blues" I have noticed that the ventral fin gets dark orange to red when ready or coaxing a female to breed. Normaly it will look brownish orange/yellow like the picture above. Although "Electric Blues" feed on the fry of other fish in the wild, however beef heart is just a bit to much protein for them. I wouldn't feed it to any Rift lake cichlids. Your'e just flirting with a bloat out break in my opinion. A good Spirulina flake and a quality pellet will do fine for this fish. You can feed small amounts of krill or brine shrimp on ocassion for extra protein if you want, but if you have a quality flake and pellet it honestly isn't necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is what he looks like. He is fast and afraid of my camera aparently.

Hope you can tell me more.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I would also highly recommend dumping the beef heart. It is an unhealthy food to feed the type of fish you have. A good pellet such as New Life Spectrum, or Hikari, along with a good flake food, some krill, brine shrimp or Mysis shrimp is what I would recommend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
F8LBITEva said:
yeah thats normal. Very nice from what I can tell.
Thank you very much. I appreciate that.

So as soon as I find my reciept for the purchase I am going to return my South American. I don't want to make it seem like I am shunning your advice but I looked at the specs for all the other fish I have and I measured the levels in my tank, and all the other fish I have will do fine the way everything is set up.

I have a limited selection of aquatics shops in my area and both are big box places and we all know what kind of selection they have so I am kinda out of luck.

Thanks again to everyone who posted and I will do my best to take in everyone's advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.