Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i know this may differ in some species compared to others but i had a question in general about dominance sub-dominance and color... so if a fish is sub-dominant in a tank and his color is muted.. will he color up when you take him out and put him in a tank with no other males of his species? this particularly is in regards to a rhoadesii that i got that is def a male but not showing any color... i didnt know if some fish are jus naturally more colorful than others and will never really show good color wether dominant or not... or if it was just cuz he wasnt feeling dominant.. then i read that this fish has been observed with 100s of them with 1 male in breeding dress.. i also got a borleyi kandango that had some pretty muted red and blue but was def a male in a big tank with others of his species... i took him home and he hasnt colored up at all more than he was yet... jus wondering again if this is due to that particular fish just being not that colorful or if its jus a matter of him getting comfortable and coloring up

·
Super Moderator
40,680 Posts
Yes you can see the true colors of a male if you put him in a tank of his own females, or even a tank by himself.

He may or may not color in a tank with other males...the other males could be dominant over him as well.

The pleasure of an all-male tank...if someone is feeling intimidated he will not color up.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I got my sub-dom male lombardoi (kenyi) exchanged on Saturday... he started changing color a few days ago but was harassed into the corner behind the filter by my dominant male and spent a few days there with very subdued coloration...

I put him in a large bowl for some time on his own and he showed full male colors there...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.