Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gifted a couple of "male" peacock cichlids, both about 5.5" in length. One is pictured, the other is a bright German Red. I'm still fairly new to Peacocks, only ever having experience with a couple of males. This new pair caused a big problem in my all male peacock/hap tank. They shared a cave and drove everyone else (2 male peacocks and 2 male haps) off to one side of their 75 gal. While researching this behavior, I noticed them over there doing the loop de loop in their cave. They wasted no time so I separated the more dull looking peacock into a 40 gal cycled quarantine tank. I'm assuming it's actually a female? It has been about a week now and the fish will not eat. Parameters haven't changed, the fish is active and healthy, it likes interaction it just doesn't want any food. It has opened it's mouth, I didn't see eggs or anything abnormal. My question to a more experienced keeper would be am I assuming correctly about the sex of this specimen? It looks more purple than brown. Secondly, if not holding.. is it possible that this fish is stressed about losing a mate? Just want to do what is best for this one. The German Red is still eating and has since allowed the others to have free roam of the entire tank. Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I mostly keep haps so I might not be the best person to answer here, but based on the peacocks I have had over the years it appears to be female. At that size it looks to have a rounded fin and not much color. With that said if the fish has now moved tanks multiple times since you got it I would not be shocked if it is not eating as it might still be adjusting. Do you have another variety of food that you can try in the meantime? If water parameters are good and no visual signs of infection I would just continue to monitor.

How long was it in the 75g?

How long has it been in the 40g?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Agree the fins are not as pointed as I would expect on a five inch male. But is it the photo or do I see red on the belly and gold on the tips of the dorsal fin? I would not expect that on a female.

Why not vent it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
Agree the fins are not as pointed as I would expect on a five inch male. But is it the photo or do I see red on the belly and gold on the tips of the dorsal fin? I would not expect that on a female.

Why not vent it?
I have not vented this specimen because I was weary of her not eating due to the stress from being moved around and messed with. I didn't want to inflict more trials on her at this time. I am very new to all of this, and have not vented before. She was in the 75 only 3 days before I noticed the breeding rituals + all fish besides those two being driven off to a corner before I moved her over to the 40. She has been in the 40 for a little over a week now. I have tried 4 varieties of different foods, she is still refusing. Doesn't appear to be holding, has had a little bit of time to adjust, acts lively. You do see a red belly and a gold stripe on the dorsal fin. The mouth also can look royal blue at times. The dorsal fin appears a bit torn in person so I couldn't rely on that. I'll try venting in a few days. Do they stress if they lose a mate? I may need to dedicate another setup for this pair if so.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
They do not stress if they lose a mate. No need to vent if you are not concerned about the gender. I am leaning toward male.

They will eat ANY food if hungry so stick with the food you intend to use ongoing.

When you acquire a fish that is already grown, they often take a while to eat. Remember they hold for a month, so one week is not that unusual for a very mature new fish. The fish is not emaciated at all. I would actually stop feeding for at least 2 days and try again. Repeat as required and monitor for symptoms in case the fish really is sick.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
When males do the circle dance with each other, it is aggression and not spawning or wooing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks. I did not realize that. It is definitely a much more gentle display of aggression than what I typically get!

·
Registered
20 Posts
3 days are enough for what looks like a female (imo) to have had eggs fertilised.
Have another look to make sure if you don't want to stress her with venting. If it's difficult to get a look then she probably is.
A male would defo eat within a couple days of no food and the fish doesn't look like an unhealthy male.
Just an opinion, hope it works out ok for you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts