Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long couple of days, I have finally made my changes towards my malawi setup!

The pictures are kinda blurry due to the tank still clearing up but here they are in comparison to the old setup.

New Setup;

Old Setup;

I've switched out a couple things equipment wise and I just made my first switch to sand (Eco Complete) after over 5 1/2 years of using gravel! I am loving the look so much!

I do have a couple questions involving my aquascaping. I plan to re-stock the tank with yellow labs and "rusty" cichlids and I'm a little concerned with possible aggression issues due to not enough "rockwork". Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
355 Posts
You live in Texas so I'd be trying to find some Texas Holey rock personally lol. I love that stuff but it has to be shipped here so to spendy for me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jkulysses said:
You live in Texas so I'd be trying to find some Texas Holey rock personally lol. I love that stuff but it has to be shipped here so to spendy for me.
I've thought about it before, just never really liked on how pricey they are from place to place.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any input on if I'll be ok as far as the rock placement goes for possible aggression? I still feel like I want/need more :-?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Personally id add more. Just grab some from a local river n clean them real well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
Personally id add more. Just grab some from a local river n clean them real well.
I agree. I'm just wondering if I might suffer from bad aggression with how it is currently. I guess I'll find out. I'll be ordering my stock of 8 Yellow Labs / 8 Rusties tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You could wait until you get the fish and see how it works out, but I might try 3 different piles, using real rocks with the cichlid stones mixed in. If you wind up with one hyper-dominant fish, it will claim that whole pile not leaving any territories for the others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts