Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm looking to get jouvenile Bicolor Peacocks, but the local stores around me (Atl, ga) are out of stock as well as their suppliers. I've found them on Live Fish Direct, but all their jouvies are unsexed. I want 3, so should I gamble and hope for a mix of females/males, or should i wait it out with my local people to get the "hands on" buying experience just to be sure.

I currently have 3f/1m electric yellow labs in my 45 gallon...

Thanks for posting! :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
it really up to you one if wanna buy online or from lfs. since your yellow labs are 1.5" long they should be fine with the adult fish. they should start breeding once they hit 2" mark if they feel grovey :oops: . i use have 6 1.5" p. nyereri fry with the parents and afra cobue with no problem done. went on a week vacation and come home to find all my fish have die durning winter cause my parents turn off the power to the filter and heater n temp drop below 60. they were keep in the garage which i turn part of it into a fish room lol :D . so now i have hap and peacock tank :thumb: .

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Young bicolored adults (3") shouldn't bother the labs.
With that said, I wouldn't chance it on the juvies and wait for adults.
Sent you a pm about a breeder of bicolors. :thumb:

·
Registered
623 Posts
bicolor peacocks usually stay 4 inches or so am i correct? in that case i wouldnt worry about other tankmates size as long as they werent fry.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Adult Peacocks will ignore 1+" Yellow Labs... so this is a non-issue to worry about.

In fact I would prefer that the Peacocks be larger to start with so the male could really color up intensely. But I would worry about buying Peacocks unseen, especially adults. If they have some in the 2-3" range that would be good. IMO buying larger adults is not the greatest idea, you can buy better quality juveniles and have them grown up more harmoniously... only takes a few months. If buying juveniles buy 6-8 and they should be able to guess that you get a couple males and females, you may have unplanned loses or may want to choose between males, not every fish is the same just like people.

I actually tried to buy a male Bi-color and was sent a larger substitution of a different fish that I didn't want. Buying fish online is almost like gambling.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
noki said:
I actually tried to buy a male Bi-color and was sent a larger substitution of a different fish that I didn't want. Buying fish online is almost like gambling.
Depends on where you buy from.

If you're still considering ordering online, Davesfish.com had some last time I was there that were absolutely stunning. He's local for me so I saw them in person.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
noki said:
That's poor customer service. I have few breeders that I order fish from and they are all top quality service.

noki said:
Buying fish online is almost like gambling.
Depends on the breeders. I'm sorry you had a bad experience that soured your tastes of online breeders. Some of the best fish are only available online. To each his own, I guess.
:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts