Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what are poeples thoughts of adding a small shoal to my tank,something middle swimming,smallish and in time when the oscars are bigger they will delete the shoal and then be left with two oscars again...

i am thinking that the oscars will not be has shy and will swim with a little more ease..they are still a little nervous especially the wild coloured one...

what small shoaling fish do you recommend and why please

thanks in advance

·
Registered
153 Posts
monkey sausage said:
what are poeples thoughts of adding a small shoal to my tank,something middle swimming,smallish and in time when the oscars are bigger they will delete the shoal and then be left with two oscars again...

i am thinking that the oscars will not be has shy and will swim with a little more ease..they are still a little nervous especially the wild coloured one...

thanks in advance
Sorry was going to reply to this yesterday but kinda forgot,

So you dont want anything to big like silver dollars, well i would recomand giant danios, i have a group of 5 in my tank but always think about making the shoal bigger, they group together nicly and always moving, the are very quick, oscar have tried and fail to catch, they also eat anything that the oscars spit out, i only feed my oscars as they feed the danios. Great contrast in colour. They can also grow to a good couple of inches.

If you do go down this route i would surgest you get them large and ASAP as the oscar's do grow much quicker than they do as you probs now.

To help you on what they look like with oscars here is a video i took about a month ago.

Standard Quality

HD Quality

Hope this helps

·
Registered
153 Posts
monkey sausage said:

thanks in advance
Not sure what happened with that last post as it came out blank so i thought i would try again

Sorry was going to reply to this yesterday but kinda forgot,

So you dont want anything to big like silver dollars, well i would recomand giant danios, i have a group of 5 in my tank but always think about making the shoal bigger, they group together nicly and always moving, the are very quick, oscar have tried and fail to catch, they also eat anything that the oscars spit out, i only feed my oscars as they feed the danios. Great contrast in colour. They can also grow to a good couple of inches.

If you do go down this route i would surgest you get them large and ASAP as the oscar's do grow much quicker than they do as you probs now.

To help you on what they look like with oscars here is a video i took about a month ago.

Standard Quality

HD Quality

Hope this helps

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice tank like the background. What size is it?

Might get a little full with the 2 fish in there now. Not sure if you should add anymore.

I've had good luck with Silver Dollars as dithers not much else.

·
Registered
161 Posts
love the rock background too...and that wild oscar is cool. Not sure how big your tank is but 2 oscars will get to be 12 inches. They grow very fast. Silver dillars are cool, I had 4 of them but my Oscar grew way to fast and then turned on them and started taking bites. He killed one and then I re homed the other 3.

It all depends on how big your tank is. You could get other cichlids and because there all babies less chance of aggression larger. Or get a cool cat..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Beautiful tank, love the rock background. It should be fine until the oscars grow too big, but you never know, sometimes the fish only grow to their environment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts