Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

For those of you who want to skp the essay below, my fish are flashing and have never flashed to the extent that they are now. I personally feel like something is wrong but who knows, I see no signs of issues with the fish. Please read on if you are willing to help. Here is a video of the tank.

Start the video at 50 seconds, that is where some starts, I have another one that shows them flashing much more frequent.

I am going to try and explain this as in depth as possible. My 220 gallon tank has been set up for the past seven years and as of about two months ago I decided to get a few more fish to add to the list. I purchased a 4 inch tank raised male champsochromis caerleus, and Wild bucco. Rhoadessi and a Nimbo. Fusco. I kept them in a QT tank a month and a half for the Champ. and 1 month for the bucco and the nimbo fusco. Everything between them was going well. I observed no weird symptoms from any of the fish. As of last week I added those 3 fish to my already existing tank of

12 Blue dolphin moorii
7- nimbo venusteus- unsexed at this point
3 red empress
4 champsochromis caerleus
1 nimbo fusco
5 syno multis.

The first week has gone by absolutely fine, I originally removed my, large nimbo venusteus because of aggression issues and added some of his grown up fry back to the tank in hopes of getting a decent male. this was done at the same time as adding the other bucco and champ.

As of last night I noticed a lot of flashing, each fish I would say is flashing between 5 and 6 times a minute, I have never noticed this behavior in any of these species to this extent. I am responsible on upkeeps and water changes, my bigger tank gets one every 3 days, and since adding new fish i have done a 25 percent every two days just so i didn't mess any ben. bacteria up. Water is testing out fine besides nitrates which are very low, nothing that has bothered me in the past.

Temp- 76 ( checked and verified)
ph- 7.8
Am- 0
Nitrates- 10-15

If anyone could really point me in the right direction, should I wait, should i begin doing some kind of medication. i feel like if i did have to do a med i would have to med the whole tank, i just don't know how realistic it would be to separate each fish.

I have looked at all fish, some fish have very minor wounds from a chase, mostly just the champs, but everyone else has nothing. I have monitored breating and everything appears to be fine, gills do no seem inflamed or bulging from the sides. The fish still have a very strong appetite as usual. I feed my fish once a day and skip feedings once a week.

Maybe I am just being paranoid about all of this, but this is my favorite and most invested tank that I have and I would be absolutely sick if anything happened that could have better been prevented.

As of right now since I have noticed this happening I did a 35 percent water change, added a bit extra dechlor cause of the heavy rain in the area and added a bit of stress coat. I don't want their bodies becoming raw from flashing. I also started feeding NLS Thera A non medicated anti parsite food.

If this was your tank I want to know what you would do to fix this or correctly diagnos this.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Honestly I would not be concerned at all about what they are doing. My fish do this and they also flash much more aggressively but I believe they are marking territory or showing off more than anything.

If your water is fine, and you dont see anything on the fish. I would just watch them for signs of it getting worse. I truely dont think that whats on the video is any reason for concern at all.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Other than some form of illness, flashing is usually due to a change in water parameters, most reportedly hardness. Check GH and KH, this could have changed due to the extra rain you mentioned.
At this point I would rule out medicating and continue observation for any physical changes in the fish. Continue regular water parameter testing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well all is still the same, I can definitely tell that the water is different as of right now, the water coming out of the tap smells of very strong chlorine. We are having some major flooding which makes me think they are being cautious and bumping up chlorine amounts. I added a little bit extra water conditioner. Fish still have a strong appetite, I will keep a close eye on them and keep you guys updated. I will probably hold off for a week on water changes and see if maybe the water will return back to normal. i will go check and see if maybe the PH or something has changed as well.. As of right now fish seem well and look great!

Thanks !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts