Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask the 125 owners their opinion on filtration.

not that my set-up is doing a bad job, though there are a few spots where waste sits. I was just looking for advice on what other people do and whether or not I should change it up.

Currently I run 2 eheim classic 2217's and 1 xp3. 1 aqueon circulation pump 500, 1 aqueon circulation pump 700 (each at different ends pointing towards each other) and one maxijet 600 in the middle towards the bottom over some open sand pointing forward. I have a lot of rockwork.

I'm looking to simplify/improve any way I can. I originally wanted to replace the xp3 with a 2217 so I can move the xp3 onto my 75, but not sure if I need three canisters on the tank...
I'm thinking of getting another aqueon 700 to replace the 500, but not sure yet if the 700 is to omuch for the fish, it seems to blow some of them around when they swim in front.

any suggestion?

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one more question, I picked up some cheap small mesh laundry bags at the store thinking they would be perfect for the bio media in the 2217's. when I opened them they smelled "clean" not lack of smell, but a smell like they had been washed or treated to smell fresh and clean, so it got me worried that if I used them it would kill my fish. Any thoughts on what might work to get rid of any chemical or soap that might be on it? would boiling it a few times in fresh water each time do it?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
It is likely that the bags are synthetic (which they need to be), which would explain the smell. Soak them well and you should be good to go. There shouldn't be any soap or any other additive in them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts