Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought me a second hand tank (48-50G / 190L) as a surprise Xmas gift. It was mostly drained & had some gravel (& a lot of algae in it).

When it was brought home she realised there were some baby fish in there (3 small fry still with egg sack attached). She didn't know what to do with them so threw them in a 5G I has recently started to redo / partially ignore while I sought out a larger tank. When I got home from work two were dead, but one has survived. It's been a week, he's eating some "fry food" pellets I had in the back of the cupboard & picking through the substrate / eating off of the sponge filter (there is also some daphnia & a fair few baby mini Ramshorn snails kickin' around in there).

As he/she has survived this far I'm now rethinking my plans for the big tank to accommodate this little quirky fish. Had wanted to do a big, heavily planted shrimp tank with a few fish but that's now out the window as it looks like I'll be doing a Cichlid tank, ha. It's a pretty lively, quick fish who is venturing out & readily chasing down any food. He has also bullied an Otocinclus that was still in the 5G (once the big tank i setup i'll add more plants & some more Oto's, maybe some shrimp to the 5G now I guess).

Anyway, I'm fairly certain it's a Bumblebee? Just wanted to get a verification so I can start planning this big tank out.

Apologies for the crappy phone pic & thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Have no clue whatsoever/ let it grow. But it is NOT a Malawi Crabro "Bumblebee", those would be yellow over 1 cm. Unlikely to be a mouthbrooding cichlid, unless the mother spit them out while being chased?

Mystery, maybe someone will take a guess on what part of the world. Central American?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right! Yeah, of course re: letting it grow - just overly enthusiastic as it's survived & doing well. And some juvenile cichlid's seem to be easily identified at a small size :)

Want to ensure that I plan an appropriate tank well in advance & research adequate tank mates.

As for spitting them out - maybe the guy had fish in there & took them out before my wife arrived to pick it up??i wasn't with her, so have no idea but I guess that's a possibility.

Maybe a Convict Cichlid? I guess I'll see.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Definitely not Central American.
Striping pattern is Malawi ("Haplochromine" of some sort) and body shape indicates mbuna.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts