Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After needing a while to settle down, my tank was doing pretty well. Recently, I took the labs down to 5, had 6 acei (younger) and about 11 demasoni. Over the last few weeks, I've struggled with nitrates (one of the canister filters died and the replacement is meh), salinity issues, and temperature. No matter what setting I put my heaters on, including on a timer, the tank always ends up above 80 degrees. It's not above a vent and the room temp is about 72, so I don't know. However, if I leave the heaters off, the temperature drops to the low 70's.

This afternoon, I noticed the water had (again) gotten too warm. I unplugged any heaters in the tank and noticed, while doing the change, that I had some demasoni fry hanging out in the rocks! I couldn't get to them because I had to go to work again, but I checked the water and it was a nicer temperature, ~76.

I came home and found the water was back up above 80 even with the heaters unplugged. (How does that even happen?!?!?!) One dem dead, another showing evidence of bloat, and all but one fry mia, probably eaten. I can finally afford a new canister, so I'm getting one, and I'm going out to buy more clout to treat the remaining fish.

It's so **** aggravating, though, to have a tank get nice and stable and suddenly BAM everything goes awry. I really need to figure out where to get some female demansoni; I suspect that the proud dad celebrated by offing another male.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Are you using a canister filter? I would feel your filter and see if it warm. I did notice on my magnum that I had that the motor would be warm to the touch, not hot but good and warm. I was having the issues. I dont know for sure if this is whats causing it for me anyhow but that is the only thing that I could think of that could have effect. Mine is also by a window that really isnt the best and when its around 8 degrees here it is still always 81.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely one of the things I first checked. It didn't feel a different temperature than normal, but I'll monitor it through the night. It's an Eheim Pro 3.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Power heads add heat...do you use them? I have not found my canisters add heat. Light fixtures maybe? Mine all have their own fans.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Power heads add heat...do you use them? I have not found my canisters add heat. Light fixtures maybe? Mine all have their own fans.
Lights were on but it's a standard fluorescent bulb; not going to move the temperature that much on a tank that size. I'm wondering if the rocks absorbed some heat and heated the water I added. No way to tell now. No power head. Just the OTT filter and the canister.

Of course, the water is now a bit too chilly, but I'm letting the ambient room temperature fix that. I wanted to see and play with the babies. :(

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
How close is your thermometer to your fluorescent bulb? It doesn't make sense that your tank water would get warmer if there is nothing heating it!

I don't think that the rocks are the culprit here. The specific heat of a rock is much lower than that of water (which means that the rocks would need to be really hot to affect the temperature of a tank full of water).

I've had two cheap heaters malfunction on me, though luckily I spotted the problem before any fish died. Now I spend a few extra dollars on quality heaters. It's definitely worth it. Getting a reliable heater would probably solve your main problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am thinking your heaters may be the problem. I had a heater problem in one of my tanks. In my case it wasn't getting warm enough. It was set on 80 and the water temp was in the low 70s.
It was a recently purchased "nice" heater. It did start working properly again but I keep a close eye on it. I use it in a hospital tank otherwise I would replace it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts