Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile since I've had an aquarium and I would like to get a 48 x 18 or24 with a colony of malawi peacocks and I'm having trouble which route to take with filtration and substrate. What is UGJ under gravel??? also CSF some kind of crushed coral? I want to avoid dead spots in the gravel so UG is the ticket, what about the bulldozer tendancies of africans affecting even flow through the substrate. I will deffinitley use a cannister for their water polishing qualities I had a fluval 303 on a 55 gallon planted years ago and a AMiracle wet dry on a 45 gallon with a homemade UG heater also planted I just want to make the right choice for substrate and filtration befor I commit to a plan! Input would be greatly appreciated!W

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have no experience with UGF's but from what I was told and what I read it is best to stay away from them. With all the digging that will be going on its just not practical, and you dont want your little guys kicking up all that nasty stuff so I just didn't even mess with them. A lot of people like to run a canister for the Bio-filtering and polishing, and a HOB for the mechanical aspect of it. I personally am running 2 canisters cause I'm not a big fan of the HOB's, but whatever floats your boat will be fine.

The UGJ (under gravel jet) may suit you better than the UGF if you really want to keep the water moving in the bottom of your tank. I have the same size tank your looking at and just use pool filter sand for a substrate with a couple power heads to keep the poop floating till the filters take care of it.

Not too sure what CSF is so I will have to let someone else pipe on that for ya.

Hope that helped ya somewhat. :D

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You really shouldn't need any UGJ system for a tank that size... Better off just adding a powerhead or something to keep the water moving. The fish will dig through your substrate, anyway.

No idea what CSF is either.

·
Registered
361 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
You really shouldn't need any UGJ system for a tank that size... Better off just adding a powerhead or something to keep the water moving. The fish will dig through your substrate, anyway.
I put an under-gravel jet system in a 40-long. :lol: Works like a charm.

To the OP, under-gravel jets are actually a misnomer. They work best with sand as a substrate since detritus can flow over it, rather than settling in little gaps like in gravel.

As for UGF's, I've never used them, but all I hear about them is to stay away from them, especially with landscape artists.

I, too, have no idea what CSF is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duh PFS pool filter sand! I searched all the posts I had read could have sworn I saw csf thanks to those that replied to a few questions what a terrific resource for cichlid enthusiasts!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts