Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last tuesday night the janiter of the building that my office is situated in it called me near midnight and told me that a lot of water is leaking from your office door. When i went their I saw that Unfortunately the back pane of my office tank is cracked near the botumn and virtually the tank is empty and all the fish are gasping or dead. I don't know why this disaster struck me but believe it is very saddening. After new year vacations I was going to change that tank from brackish fish to a community of malawian haps and peacocks, but after this disaster I don't know. I think a similar event will cure me from fishkeeping.
My theory is that one of my fish accidentally crashed one of rocks to the backpane and cracked it. IS this possible? Are acrylic tanks safer than glass tanks? What about my mbunas tank in which my fishes forever are moving the gravel? Currently I fear oneday I come back to my home and encounter a cracked tank and dead fish and messy floor. Should I abandon this other large glass tank and buy an acrylic one?

Please help me

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
There are some things you can do to avoid falling-rock damage.
1) Place eggcrate (can go by many names - it's basically a plastic grid) down on the bottom of your tank under the sand - this helps prevent a break to the bottom.
2) Dig your rocks into the sand so they don't move as easily
3) Don't stack them so that they wiggle or move (every rock should be supported by 2 or 3 steady rocks underneath them)
4) I've even heard of people using silicone to glue their rocks together to prevent them from falling.
5) A few large rocks are usually more sturdy than many small-medium rocks.

I'm not sure if acrylic is stronger. It definitely scratches more easily.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Also you can use a bit more sand on the bottom to act as a buffer just like the eggcrate and gives a more natural look. Dont stack rocks near glass try to put them more in the center so if they do fall or get knocked over they will just fall on the sand and no problem. I would recommend lava rock its light and porous, wont break your glass. Also dont get any plecos, they get too big and are really clumsy and will knock over anything in your tank.

Dont worry about the glass, tempered glass used in fish tanks is very strong, i used to make it at my old job and sometimes even taking a heavy metal pole smashing it on the glass wouldnt break it. Now fish tanks of smaller size have thinner glass and may not hold up to a hammer or metal pole but dont worry, its still very strong. Also make sure you dont get bubblers, or if you do make sure it has a check valve, just in case the power goes out, it wont make a syphon and empty your tank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chunkanese wrote "Dont worry about the glass, tempered glass used in fish tanks is very strong, i used to make it at my old job and sometimes even taking a heavy metal pole smashing it on the glass wouldnt break it."
Maybe my tank was built using ordinary glass I don't know about that because I ordered it to my local fish store 3 years ago and till 2days past it worked ok.
maybe I will replace it with an acrylic one and hope for better results, I don't know.
perhaps it is one of the risks of fishkeeping.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. That could easily turn anyone off from fishkeeping, kudos to you for wanting to try it again.

I prefer acrylic over glass.
I have three acrylic tanks and two glass tanks. -True, the acrylic scratches more easily but I like the nice, seamless look.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would go with acrylic. There will always be some bumping around. Small vibrations after a while will soon end up with a rock falling. If you go with glass place your base rocks in before you add sand. Sand will hold the rocks in place better. Then add the other rocks. Smooth boulder rocks fall easy so maybe you can try flat rocks or river rocks. River rocks have more ballance and they look nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.