Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I wanted to add some critters (snails and such) to my tank to help with keeping it clean. I have three clown loaches in my tank with my cichlids and I'm not sure but I think they love to eat snails. any ways I wanted some advice on some things I can put in my tank to help with keeping it cleaner, I thought snails would be a good start but wanted to know what else I if anything I could put in there. see my tanks for a stocking list thanks.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Mbuna are likely to eat any snails that are larger.. Apple, Gold Snails... whatever, likely to be eaten. In most cases, mbuna will eat all of the food put in, unless you are overfeeding. There isn't a "need", unless you just have a desire to ad fish. Bristlenose pleco's are fairly efficient at eating algae.

·
Registered
53 Posts
snails are not going to work..atleast they havent for me in 10 years..I actually worked at my LFS and took home hundreds of free baby snails and would dump them in my tank and I never saw one ..Basically they were free food for the mbunas..I just set up a new 150gal with 30 juvies and I put in a couple HUGE snails and they still got eaten...Plecos work for most..as long as your tank has been up and running to provide enough substinance (smaller plecos tend to persist on algae whereas the larger tend to be more of a scavanger/algae eater)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Snails are not very effective at cleaning anyway. Get a bristlenose cat.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah *** ben thinking about getting one or two but I would want to get rid of my comon pleco first. I realy just wanted somthing to help with the algee on the glass I'm tierd of having to clean it all the time my comon plecos are lazy and don't much like the algee i guess they just scavenge off the bottom when I feed. i don't think i'm over feeding there is never any food left after the feedings.

·
Registered
223 Posts
MightyWarMonger said:
yeah I've ben thinking about getting one or two but I would want to get rid of my comon pleco first. I realy just wanted somthing to help with the algee on the glass I'm tierd of having to clean it all the time my comon plecos are lazy and don't much like the algee i guess they just scavenge off the bottom when I feed. i don't think i'm over feeding there is never any food left after the feedings.
Common plecos seem to stop eating algae eventually. I've had them before, but they always seem to stop eating it as they get bigger.

I've never noticed this with Bristlenose, but maybe they do it too. I have a friend with a 3 year old Bristlenose that keeps his 80G tank clean of algae. That thing is a ****** algae eating machine. I want him to breed it so I can have some of the offspring, but he doesn't see a reason to buy another one as one keeps his tank clean.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I have had snails and they did fine - in the fry tank. In a sub-adult to adult tank they just don't hack it very well. I like to keep catfish in my tank as a clean up crew.

Bristlenose do a good job, and I would say my Syno. petricola do too. I have a tendency to overfeed so they help out quite a bit (and so does increased waterchanges :lol: )

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I don't know what kind of plecos mine are. The said at the LFS that they weren't the kind that get huge but I dunno if I believe them. Anyway they are almost a year old, we have 2 in a 55g. tank and so far they still do a great job (probably one would be enough for my tank). They never hide and seem to "work" all the time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I guess the consissis is in that I need to trade in my comon plecos for a bristel nose pleco the only problem is going to be catching them, the ones I have are verry reclusive to say the least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts