Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i just brought home 3 calvus and one compressiceps. my question is, 2 of the 4 have there mouth stuck out, which is all normal, but it is staying out and they arent sucking it back in, they are still in the bag, im wondering if this is a stress/aggression thing, or if it is a problem i will have to try and fix manually and carefully. they are about 1.5-2" long TL

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nvm guys, i fixed them, it seems calvus, when taken out of the water, get air stuck in there mouth or jaw somewhere, which in turn they cant close there mouth, i took them out of the water, VEEEEEEEERY gently put there mouth back in, but as soon as i let go of it out of the water, it came back out when they took a breath, so i pushed it back in again (again, veeeeeeeeery gently) let go under the water, and it stayed closed, when they were in the bag i seen air bubbles coming out of there mouth, so i assume air gets caught in there mouth, so they couldnt close it

any one else have this experience??

·
Registered
352 Posts
its called lock jaw, and can also be caused by stress

Never happened to me, but have heard about it

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Interesting idea that its caused by stress.
Sure had it a few times (could not rule out stress or fighting in any of those).
Has always went back in again on its own for my little comp guys.
Maybe calvus are even more susseptable?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've heard of this symptom several times but have never experienced it. My calvus are quite hardy and healthy but they sure require some patience waiting for them to mature! I love mine and everyone who checks em out really likes them. I think partly because they look quite different from most fish.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the first time i incountered this in A. calvus i was somewhat alarmed. The smaller (and lighter in color) of the two A. calvus that I had purchased had its upper lip extended outward making it look like a duck. I was then concerned that this was a physical abnormallity like a birth defect. Within a couple of weeks "she" was back to normal. Although she has stayed lighter in color compared to more dominant A. calvus, "her" mouth is back to normal. Interestingly enough if I remember correctly she was eating just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts