Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me begin my saying that my Tropheus were in very bad shape. I was out of town on business when bloat hit my 16 Golden Kazumba's. Four days later, when I got back into town, I began treatment.

I wanted to share this with all of you because there is a ton of information on how to cure bloat out there and some of it works, some of it doesn't. By all rights my Tropheus should all be dead now as I started the treatment so late. Out of the 16 I only lost four. The remaining 12 are eating like pigs again.

Day 1: I put 1.5 teaspoons of Metronidazole in the 75gallon tank at 9AM. I put 1.5 teaspoons of Metronidazole in the tank again at 5PM.

Day 2: I put 1.5 teaspoons of Metronidazole in the tank at 9AM. At 4 PM I did a 50% water change. I put a little bit of Spirulina (Soaked in Metro) into the tank to see who would eat and who would not. 6 of the Tropheus ate. At 5 PM I put 1.5 teaspoons of Metronidazole in the tank again.

Day 3: I put 1.5 teaspoons of Metronidazole in the tank at 9AM. At 4 PM I did another 50% water change. I put a little bit of Spirulina (Soaked in Metro) into the tank to see who would eat and who would not. This time all but 2 ate. At 5 PM I treated the tank again with 1.5 teaspoons of Metronidazole.

Day 4: I put 1.5 teaspoons of Metronidazole in the tank at 9AM. At 4 PM I fed the fish again as in days 2 and 3. This time they all ate.

Bloat Cured!!! :) :) :)

They have all been eating like pigs for 2 days now and I could not be happier.

I must stress that this worked well for me and may not work the same for you. I know the doses I used were higher than most other people recommend but I was starting 4 days late and the fish are showing no adverse signs from it. In fact, the Juli's I have in the tank with the Tropheus actually spawned while the Metro treatment was occurring. Go Figure.

I hope this will help any of you that are having bloat problems with your Tropheus.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
I'm bumping this up for a refresh for those that missed it. According to my Metro dosage chart I'm only supposed to use 2 teaspoons for my 320 gallons of water (my system has two tanks and a sump w/ a net volume around 320 gallon after rocks & substrate are deducted). I'm a bit hesitant to add such a high dosage, but it may be a good idea for those that have new arrivals in bad shape. And again, thanks Apex for sharing what's worked for you in the past :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I just put an order in for 200Gms of Metro.
They informed me of the same regiment that Alex used above with one difference, the dosage Alex used is pretty high. I was told to use 250mg (1.5 tsp) for a 125g and he's using that for a 75g.

They did say that the reason to treat twice a day is b/c Metro only stays active in the water for ~8hrs.

Ted.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fully admit that my dosage was very high but what did I have to lose? My Trophs had bloat so bad by the time I got back into town, I was positive they were going to die.

I still have these Trophs and they are all perfectly fine, no adverse effects to my knowledge. I just wanted to share what worked for me as the directions on the Metro jars, in my opinion, just wont work when used as directed.

Again, the key is, whatever dosage you use, to dose the tank 2 times per day.

Good luck all! :)

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
ApexPredator said:
I fully admit that my dosage was very high but what did I have to lose? My Trophs had bloat so bad by the time I got back into town, I was positive they were going to die.
An excellent point.

Actually, I don't think this treatment was so extreme. My last use of metro lasted for at least a week with only 1.5 tsp each day in a 135 gallon tank. Everyone recovered, but it took that long before everyone would eat again. My cyprichromis and petricolas showed no ill effects. In fact, I had 3 cyps and 2 tropheus holding just a few days after I stopped the treatment. With the learning curve that I have gone through with bloat I would say that being aggressive with this disease is necessary. I only wish I had this information when I received a shipment that were in terrible shape.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
This is good info that should be accessible to the members at all times, I'll post it as a sticky. Treating twice daily really seems to make sense, and since Metro doesn't dye the water or have harsh effects to more sensitive fish, this seems like a great way to treat. Thanks for the info Apex, looks like you may really be on to a more reliable treatment regimen. Anyone else with success stories post them here :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I cured bloat in my Tropheus with an extreme cure of Nifurpirinol.

I took out all the fish (15 Tropheus duboisi maswa, 20 Tropheus moorii Kiku and 2 Eretmodus cyanostictus) and put them in an 20 litre bucket. It was pretty shallow but with an big watersurface so the aeration was at maximum. Three air-stones was put in the bucket and 8 litres of aquarium water. I poured down the dosage for 500litres of aquarium water and after about five minutes i put the fish in there. They were in the bucket for 30 miuntes while i changed all of the aquarium water.

New water was tapped into the aquarium and then the fish. I managed to stop bloat this time. This dosage is only when you know you have no other choice. I knew that if i hadn't done this the Tropheus would have been dead.

I think that Metrodinazole is a better way to treat bloat but this was my little bloat-adventure and how i fixed it. (All of the trophs except for three poor Tr. Kiku made it).

G

·
Hey, I think you Tropheus geeks need to get out a bit more often. :D

Have any of you (including the mods here) seen this?
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... hp?t=24132

After reading that you might want to note that 1 teaspoon = 5 grams.
A 'normal' dosage for a 75 gallon tank would = just under 2 grams.
Also, another thing that has not been mentioned here is the need to perform water changes before each new batch of Met is added to the tank. (to remove any feces that are harbouring pathogens)

Met is sensitive to both temperature as well as light, so you will also want to keep the lights out during the entire treatment. The key is keeping the medication at near 100% strength, so in an aquarium setting the ideal situation would be to perform water changes & add fresh met every 6-8 hours, keep the tank lights off, and up the tank temp as high as is safely possible.

Hope that helps ......

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Hey, who you calling a geek???? LOL.

I remember seeing that thread when it was first posted and kind of forgot about it. Good info there, thanks for the refresh :)

Also, another thing that has not been mentioned here is the need to perform water changes before each new batch of Met is added to the tank. (to remove any feces that are harbouring pathogens)
Good point, I perform 30% changes prior to each dose, but I didn't add new doses so quickly. How much water do you change every 6-8 hours?
I believe Apex states he changed 50% once a day (between doses).

G

·
I would think anywhere from 25-50% would be fine. The point I was trying to make is that it no matter how much Met you put in your tank, after 8 hours it is no longer effective. You're better to use between 250-500 mg per 10 gallons (500 mg only in severe cases), and to keep dosing every 6-8 hours with fresh medication, than to use a large amount (such as posted above) and only dose twice a day. On the other hand, obviously a 3 times a day schedule isn't possible for everyone.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thank yo for answering my question. I have one other one that I forgot to ask. During my 50% water changes do I still add my amquel and novaqua like the directions state on the bottles. The anquel is amquel+. Thanks for you advice. I do not want to lose these. :(

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
C-M, You should add your Amquel or similar de-chlor product every time you perform your changes, but adding Amquel & Novaqua isn't neccessary, just the Amquel (unless you've got some fish that have visible scratches or roughed-up areas).

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just added the second dose of metro. I raised the temp form 80 to 84. I have some movement among the tropheus but have one up near the top of the tank and one on the sand bottom not moving much. I still have not fed any. I feed OSI Spirulina and will mix it with metro. Do you just add metro to the food or do you soak the metro with the food and feed a sort of paste? How long do I keep the temp above 80? Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In wich presentation do you use Metro??, do you use it in tablets and crush them or the IV form, ampulas and dilute it in the water?? can you tell me?? :?:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts