Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my LFS this weekend, my daughter needed more fish food for her fish. I recently made the decision to move from Malawi’s to South American cichlids and I took the opportunity to talk to the guys about getting what I needed. I have Severums, Angels, Corys, Buenos Aires Tetras and Congo Tetra all on my list. The only sticking point has been the Severums, right size and colour particularly (shop didn’t want to be stuck with to many as I wanted to return any that didn’t pair up). So we were looking through the availability list when a gentlemen came in and asked if the shop wanted to buy some large Cichlids, Severums to be exact. What fortune! Playing it cool we were a little nonchalant and eventually this guy handed over the containers in exchange for a store credit note. But that’s where my cool ends.

In the container were three Severums, a pair of breading Gold and a single female green. All of which were just fantastic examples. So a little strong arming of the shop staff means I pick my Severums up next Saturday, at cost. Couldn’t have planned it better. Now all I have to do is find a mate for the green female!

Will post picks when they arrive (and I work out how :lol: )

·
Registered
86 Posts
i had kinda the same experience with my apistos i went to my lfs with the intentions of just getting basic supplies for the next month u know food water conditoner and while i was waiting to be checked out some lady walked in with a bag of fish i gave her a wierd look and she walked up to me and asked if i wanted them i asked what kind they were and if they were healthy she didnt know so i asked the guys at the store and they said apistos and they looked good so long story short i walked out with some free fish and it was my lucky day

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's great when that happens. In teh past I've also picked up a large plec, a Royal Panaque and breading pair of Texas Cichlids (and brood) this way, not to mention a load of Convict Cichlids (a mistake you only make once).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everywhere I go I find aquarium shops full of Convicts, their like tribbles :lol:

I like them but boy of boy they are prolific little breeders if left to their own devices. Unless you have an outlet for the young you may end up with a bit of a problem.

I’m sure I’ll be pilloried by the Convict loving fraternity, but there we go. Makes for good debate ;-)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trouble is female convicts are real tarts and appear to be able to mate with anything male! Bit of an exaggeration, but something to watch for :wink:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
It's true, my pair of cons breed every 3 weeks, but the fry have yet to make it past 1/4" without being eaten :lol:

So about those severums, can't wait to see them!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got them today. They are feeding and have coloured up well. Will post pics this week :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts