Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 gal tank that currently holds 3 syno feather fin catfish (small) , 1 small pleco, 4 large cherry barbs, and 1 jewel cichlid that was an accidental purchase. I had a huge pleco that had eaten all my other fish and the cichlid was in a "cichlid assortment " purchase (bad move) but was the only one to survive the pleco ( which I have since given away). The cichlid had almost no markings so I could not identify it. Since the Pleco is gone , I have seen it come out of hiding and seen it develop more color.

The Problem: I want a somewhat less aggressive African cichlid tank but am afraid the jewel will be a problem. Should I give him away and what fish could I get to give me a nice community cichlid tank? or will I be able to incorporate the jewel with new fish? The cichlid is about 1 1/2 inches in size.
Thank You

·
Registered
19 Posts
i think it depends on what other type of fish you want to put in....i had a community tank once with a jewel cichlid that got along fine....it is also still a small size and could get more aggresive when it gets bigger....I also kept with kribensis cichlids....

·
Administrator
41,642 Posts
You may not be able to stock as much in a wave-front as a rectangle. What is the dimension front-to-back of the smallest part of the tank?

A single jewel should be OK but may not color up much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smallest part of tank 14 inches front to back; widest, 20 inches

Is a single jewel the only cichlid I can keep in the tank presently? Would I have more options if I didn't have the jewel or is my tank dimensions the problem?

·
Administrator
41,642 Posts
The small-end dimensions are limiting...but you can definitely get three species in there. I assume the barbs are going?

I'd ignore the jewel when stocking. For a peaceful tank maybe these?
5 Labidochromis caeruleus
5 Pseudotropheus acei
5 Iodotropheus sprengerae

Or are you looking for an all-male hap/peacock tank?

·
Administrator
41,642 Posts
For all-male you can begin by reading the article in the Library and having extra tanks.

I find mixed gender mbuna tanks easier than all-male tanks.

If you still want to do all-male in your wave-front tank I'd try a dozen haps and peacocks that mature at or under 7". A hap example is Placidochromis electra and a peacock example is Aulonocara stuartgranti Mdoka Flametail.

One male of each species with no two looking alike.

Other than that, there is no "success formula" for an all-male tank. It is pretty trial-and-error and you need the extra tanks for the "errors". :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.