Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of setting up a 90g aquarium that was a craigslist find. I'm going to refinish the stand and stain it a spanish oak color which is much darker like a dark chocolate almost black depending on the light but still shows the grain and knots of the pine which I love. I'm also going to build a matching canopy for the top of the tank and I'm going to paint the back of the tank with a spray paint i found made by Rust Oleum. It's a stone finish with texture and it's a granite black which has very small speckles of white and dark gray like a granite finish. It should look very nice at least I hope so or I'll be doing some scraping lol. I have a Rena XP2 and a Penguin 350 that I will be using for filtration but can always upgrade if I need to when the fish get larger. Anyway heres the list I'm thinking about so far but am open to suggestions.

Redhead Severum or a Red Sev
Blue Acara
Firemouth 1 or 2??
Keyhole Cichlid if I have room
Some Silver Dollars
Few Tiger Barbs
Pictus Cat
Pleco[/i]

Is this way to many fish and what about compatibility with each other?? Thanks and I look forward to your replies. I'll take some pictures of my progress and try to get a before picture up soon. The glass was so gross you could barely see through it but I already scraped all that off. Just need to reseal the inside now.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi jkulysses,

Sounds like you should have a nice set up. I would not go with the fire mouth for the following reasons:

1) You are pushing the limits on bio-load for your tank
2) The FM & Arcara will likely be adversaries
3) If you do not go with the FM you will have predominantly a South American only tank (if you replace the tiger barbs with some type of tetra you will have all SA fish)
4) If you do not get the FM you could try to get a pair of keyholes which would give them a better chance of fending off the more aggressive tank mates.

As for the pictus cat, I would get at least one more, they enjoy company.

I should add that I have not kept all the aforementioned fish, so take my advice for what it is worth and let’s see what others think. My apologies for not commenting based on experience with the specific fish; I guess I just like the direction you are heading.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No apology needed at all that's exactly the opinions I wanna hear and you already helped because the tiger barbs were already bugging me because they aren't even from the same continent. There will be driftwood and roots and java moss and ferns in the tank. It's all I think about lately I think I've become obsessed lol. Just always wanted to do a setup like this and it's actually pretty close to happening now can't wait! :D O and I wasn't attached to the Firemouth idea either but I defenetly would like to keep the Acara on the list. Always wanted to keep one and also a severum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts