Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I installed my AC 70 filter on my new 90g perfecto tank and the molding on the tank is too wide for the filter to sit properly...the result is that the filter is sitting at least one inch too high. the molding has an exta "mini" lip that is preventing the AC from sitting an inch lower. should i cut the mini lip off the tank or modify the filter?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Are you talking about the lip that connects from the top of the lighting hood? If you are they can be easily removed even without cutting them. Just simply snap them off as they should be precut for this issue.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dj823cichild said:
Are you talking about the lip that connects from the top of the lighting hood? If you are they can be easily removed even without cutting them. Just simply snap them off as they should be precut for this issue.
nope, the molding that is attatched to the rim of the aquarium.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Mudkicker said:
Dj823cichild said:
nope, the molding that is attatched to the rim of the aquarium.
I think you would be able to trim that little bit off without any damage to the tank or the molding itself.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is what i mean

·
Banned
406 Posts
My AC70 fit fine on my trim and its just like yours. Thats too weird!??

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
60gallon said:
My AC70 fit fine on my trim and its just like yours. Thats too weird!??
my AC is over ten years old maybe they are a little different now?

·
Banned
406 Posts
Probably so then. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is it possible that the trim of a 55 gallons is thinner compared to one on a 90 gallons, since i'm guessing the glass of the tank is probably thinner too?

The Aquaclear 70 is rated for tank of 70 gallons max, so it's possible it doesn't fit perfectly for a 90 gallons. I have a Aquaclear 110 on a 90 gallons and i don't have this issue.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LordDracula said:
Is it possible that the trim of a 55 gallons is thinner compared to one on a 90 gallons, since i'm guessing the glass of the tank is probably thinner too?

The Aquaclear 70 is rated for tank of 70 gallons max, so it's possible it doesn't fit perfectly for a 90 gallons. I have a Aquaclear 110 on a 90 gallons and i don't have this issue.
yeah, i think i will take my dremel to the filter and trim some plastic off instead of messing with the tank.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I recall having the same issue with a brand new 70 on my 60 gallon tank with the same footprint as a 55 gallon. I replaced it with a 110. The 70 fits on my 29 gallon tank just fine.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LordDracula said:
BillD said:
the ideal solution would be an AC110.
I agree. I can sell u my AC110 for a very good price. I was looking to replace it with another canister. PM me if interested Hehe.
what's a very good price LOL? this new tank is bleeding me dry!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I don't think I would be taking a dremel to my tank in order to accomodate a 10 year old filter that's most likely not going to provide enough filtration anyway. :roll:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
noddy said:
I don't think I would be taking a dremel to my tank in order to accomodate a 10 year old filter that's most likely not going to provide enough filtration anyway. :roll:
i would be taking a dremel to the filter, not the tank. the AC is only one of 3 filters on the tank.

the other two being an emperor 280 and a hot magnum 250.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=225316

1 - 20 of 20 Posts