Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input on a design for a 90g (48"x18" footprint). I have a glass tank with a plastic rim so I built in an extra 0.5" at the top, I'll likely put a shelf on one side and doors with some cuts in the back to allow for hoses for the filter. Am I missing anything important and should there be enough support using 2x4's and 0.5" plywood?

·
Registered
319 Posts
You have a sound design there. That same design would support a 150 gallon no problem. There are two things I would change if this were my stand: Add a sheet of plywood to the top (to help keep assembly square and rigid) and leave out the center braces ( they just add weight and are not necessary. Use very dry lumber for this project to avoid shrinkage issues. Preferably something that has been kiln dried and stored indoors for a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I was going to add a top as well but would have obscured the interior design. I was going to include the front center brace so there wouldn't be a gap between the doors and if I was going to put a shelf on one side I figured I might need the back one as well, could I change them to 2x2s instead?

I moved my tank into the unfinished part of my basement to partially fill it to test for leaks since it's been sitting empty for a while (3+ years) and I noticed a chip on the edge of one of the long panes of glass. The seal looks ok and the water is currently filled to just above the chip with no leaks but is there something else I can do see if this is a cause for concern down the road?

·
Registered
284 Posts
The one difficulty you might have is placing the tank on the stand inside the lip. You have a quarter inch to spare on all sides, which will work but could be tricky. For easier placement I left off the back lip on my stand and added a sheet of plywood on the top. This way you can place the tank partway on the stand and then slide it into place, then move the stand/tank against the wall. If placing the tank on your stand isn't a problem, good design.
As for your question about the chip, I have a tank with a pretty deep chip on the edge with no leaking problems... hard to say if yours will cause issues without seeing it though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
duds said:
The one difficulty you might have is placing the tank on the stand inside the lip. You have a quarter inch to spare on all sides, which will work but could be tricky. For easier placement I left off the back lip on my stand and added a sheet of plywood on the top. This way you can place the tank partway on the stand and then slide it into place, then move the stand/tank against the wall. If placing the tank on your stand isn't a problem, good design.
As for your question about the chip, I have a tank with a pretty deep chip on the edge with no leaking problems... hard to say if yours will cause issues without seeing it though.
Ok thanks, I'll take a picture of it tonight when I get home and post it. And good idea about the back lip.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Valous said:
Is the back lip needed? I assume it will be pushed up towards the wall so you wont see it.
None of the lips around the edge are NEEDED, alot of people just do this to hide the trim on the tank. My DIY stand I just built doesn't have any lips around it nor did the store boughten one I had prior and all is fine and dandy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
no i ment is it needed to hid the trim. I can see if the tank was veiwed on all sides then yes but if the back of the tank is up against a wall then I dont see a need for the back panel at all. Atleast I have left mine open.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Valous said:
no i ment is it needed to hid the trim. I can see if the tank was veiwed on all sides then yes but if the back of the tank is up against a wall then I dont see a need for the back panel at all. Atleast I have left mine open.
I left the back of mine open too when I built it. Though the lip doesn't cover the black plastic piece completely. Just 3/4" of it (piece of quarter round and the molding to match the height of the qr). I just did it for aesthetic (sp?) reasons (and to cover up some of my ummmm.... mistakes).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Malvos said:
duds said:
Ok thanks, I'll take a picture of it tonight when I get home and post it. And good idea about the back lip.
Here is a picture of the chip, it's not deep and after a couple days there is no sign of a leak. I do have a tube of silicone for the bathroom, to be safe should I fill the crack or is the danger more a loss of structural integrity?

Link to image

1 - 12 of 12 Posts