1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This all started in Feb 2011. Original post:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... c377be045b

(It turned out to be a reptile tank)
Over the course of several weeks, I built a beautiful 3D BG, installed it, filled tank, 5 hours later, the back glass broke and I watched helplessly while about 85 gallons of water hit the floor. I cleaned up the mess, replaced the glass, re-built the BG, installed it, filled the tank with water and started cycling, 5 days later, the front glass broke . . . So it went to the dump.

Now . . . new 90g tank, new ideas, new supplies and I've started over . . . more to come

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

The Cabinet:

Cabinet almost finished:

Finished before filling it with water:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, after that one broke twice, I've spent the last few weeks working on a new 90g:
I'm still going to use the cabinet I built for the 110 but had to modify it slightly

I had some rocks custom built:

Right side

Left side

These were laid out, then each piece was set with thin set on hardee backer cement board, but before i set the stones, I painted the board with 2 coats of drylok

Sealing the background:

I decided to use epoxy resin instead of pond armor type products, no place around here to get anything like that and shipping it in was more expensive than the actual product!

Background is in, waiting for silicone to dry . . .

I'm just not sure now how long to wait for the silicone to dry?

·
Registered
361 Posts
hbbyhorse said:
I'm just not sure now how long to wait for the silicone to dry?
Until the smell goes away. After it gets to that point, I wait another 24 hours, then fill slowly while listening...

And that's some darn bad luck with the 110 you built... how did the glass fail?

·
Registered
92 Posts
With a background like that, i would put some gobies in... Mine play in the nooks and crannies in my background, there are very entertaining.
Very bad luck with the 110g, but look at the bright side: what are the odds that you ever face such a problem another time?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your aquarium!

If it helps- it took my BG 5 days (for the silicone) to dry. I actully ended up putting fans in the tank to help with the air movement.
Your originally background looks good and the one you had made looks nice as well.

What are you going to stock?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guams said:
And that's some darn bad luck with the 110 you built... how did the glass fail?
first mistake was that the cabinet was off by 1/8", caused the glass to torque just enough to split, then after replacing the glass and it broke, i started thinking that it was all due to the rim, it had broke in several places and would not stay repaired, or, it was never meant for fish <sigh> expensive lesson learned the hard way

kitana8 said:
what are the odds that you ever face such a problem another time?
I certainly hope never again, what a train wreck!

DanniGirl said:
Your original background looks good and the one you had made looks nice as well. What are you going to stock?
Thx :)

I decided on the real rock approach because I was having an awful time with the styrofoam, I really like the way my second one turned out, it was faster and much easier than the 1st one, no rocks to shape, no styro to clean up etc, all I had to do was adhere the rocks to my backboard and seal it, lol

My Ruzibas are eventually going into this tank, along with a HUGE jack dempsy (7-8")

1 - 7 of 7 Posts