Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just filled my 90 gallon tank last night, got all the rocks in and started up the filter, went to start putting the lighting fixtures on (came with 2 24" fluorescent canopies, and noticed they didn't really fit like they did when the tank was empty. Measuring across the centre of the tank gave about 1/2" wider than at the edges. So about a 1/4" of bowing on either side, is this an acceptable amount or should I drain the tank and look at installing a centre brace?

I did some searching on the forums but didn't find an exact answer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's not a new tank, got it from someone used and has sat in indoor storage for a few years after that. I'm going to measure the glass thickness when I get home.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
There are a lot of older tanks out there with no center brace...but it does help prevent bowing and distributes weight more evenly. If this tank is in a spot where it could break and ruin carpet/flooring/etc, I would be a little concerned. If you have a fish room with a cement floor, I probably wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd fill it outside or in the garage first and let it sit for a week or two. If all the seams are holding after that amount of time it MAY be ok. I'd still be worried about it though...

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I'm not sure that the fish would prefer ending up on a concrete floor or a carpet floor but, I wouldn't use the tank. The tank is just about the cheapest part of the hobby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts