Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 90 I would like to set up as a show tank, last 8-9yrs have had Mbuna's and my 1st purchase of fry spawned 4 generations and 4 tanks 20L, 40T, and 2-55's......

Wish I could take credit for the science but the more I read now on my way to a 125, I was Blessed.....purchased what looked good to me and they grew up together and created hybirds for sure. :eek:

Right now I want one tank full of color and would like to go with Frontosa's, my upsidedwn cat, golden nugget pleco and synodontis are part of my Original Group (OG's) and will be the 1st in the 90 and the 120 if they keep on living =D>

The other tanks have been given to, the local carpet layer early November (20L).
40T...brother inlaw, 55 to my culinary mentor as a good luck gift for his seafood resturant and the last 55 will go to my eldest son, I maintain all three for now for they are still my wet pets
( they still stand tall when I enter the room ) :thumb:

Pardon me.......would like to know if anyone can suggest a really colorful mix of Frontosa's, not looking to create anymore spawning, however do not want a bunch of pent up fish either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A colourful mix of frontosa? Do you mean african cichlids in general? Frontosa are only ever various blues and purples so your not gonna have much of a rainbow. I personally wouldn't mix types of frontosa because if and when they breed the fry will be fairly worthless. I guess if you could get mature, sexable specimens you could try all one gender. And I guess if you mix types and they breed you could just abandon the fry but it seems like a wasted opportunity to me. But if this is what you want to do then just research frontosa types and see what you can actually acquire. Availability and price is what will be most limiting I would think.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Frontosa are going to be happier in a 72" tank or larger. You said you are on your way to a 125G but have a 90G?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you toolate_frozen and djransome, for the comments.
In response I am not looking to breed the Frontosa's and yes I will stay with the African Cichlids.

Yes I do believe my last tank will a 125 gallon, at this time the 90 gallon should have enough realestate for my OG's to roam a bit more, the upsidedwn and syno are at least 8" each the golden nugget pleco maybe 5/6", the extra room should do them well.

Have looked at serveral sites and saw some Fontosa's not too many colors however, this is where my question comes into play, they read to be a skitish species with the wrong tank mates and if the only species in the tank the "rainbow" effect may not happen, looking for more than hues of the same color.

Not too crazy about the clown loaches, could apppreciate the job the do (carp like) and they may be a solution to stocking this 90 with color however I am looking for some red, white, maybe yellow as well.

No rush just hooked my Ehiem to the 55 to prime that system with good bacteria, while I continue to do a little hw, the body shape has me hooked and the thought of bonding to the point of hand feeding is cool.

Thanks for the read and response, if anyone else has any input would be glad to hear from you as well.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Frontosa do like a species tank and it is challenging to find good tank mates for them because they like a calm tank and they eat smaller fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to keep looking for at the many sites out here for a mix that might work, and just might have to go back to my mbuna's.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts