Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of setting up a 90 gallon Malawi Mbuna aquarium. I have an Eheim 2215 and an Aquaclear 110. I may use powerheads (Maxi-jet 900 or 1200 - should I?). I have a single 250W Jager Heater. I plan to use aragonite as a substrate and likely lace rock. My background is black.

Now that you know all the background info., I need advice on stocking.

Here is a list of several Mbuna that I would like to keep. I know that I won't be able to keep all of them together:

- C. afra
- L. fuelleborni
- L. trewavasae
- L. caeruleus
- L. sp. "Hongi"
- L. sp. "Perlmutt"
- M. auratus
- M. johannii & cyaneorhabdos
- M. callainos
- M. estherae
- M. greshakei
- M. lombardoi
- M. zebra
- P. sp. "Acei"
- P. sp. "Daktari"
- P. demasoni
- P. elongatus varieties
- P. flavus
- P. polit
- P. saulosi
- P. socolofi
- Tropheops sp.

Long list, I know, sorry. But looking at the fish above, are the majority highly aggressive or semi-aggressive?

Depending on whichever is the majority will help steer me in the direction I want to go.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really care much about breeding; I'm more interested in a colourful, active display.

Maybe I could include like one or two breeding groups?

I mainly want a blue species, a white species and an orange/yellow species. Stripes and ornamentation are nice too, and I'd like maybe 1 or 2 OB fish.

My top 5 favourites would probably have to be:

Mel. auratus
Met. zebra
Met. callainos
Mel. johannii
P. saulosi

Again, I won't really encourage breeding from my fish. I plan to get max 2 or 3 of each species, sometimes individuals. If a hybridizing pair forms, I'll make sure to break them up.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I see now. If they need to kept in breeding groups of around 4, I'll do it.

I kind of figured that the auratus would be a no-go.

I did take a look at the all-male article, but since they can't resemble each other, there'll just be too much variation and I personally think it would look a bit tacky.

Which fish are the most aggressive from the ones on there, so that I could eliminate them from my choices?

When I come up with some options, I'll post them on here.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for your advice guys. I definately have some ideas now. In particular I'll probably take a closer look at the Ps. sp. "Acei"

So, to start breaking things down, I think I will go for around 5 groups of 4 or 5, not-so-aggressive fish.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw some M. sp. "Msobo" at my LFS today and they were gorgeous!

They were small, around 2", but all were a nice yellowish-orangey colour. Do they all start off that way, or were they all females?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, ok, I really like the suggestion that Dewdrop gave me:

- Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (or M. callainos?)
- Pseudotropheus socolofi (white)
- Metriaclima estherae (red)
- Labidochromis caeruleus

That gives me a good mix of colours and I shouldn't have much trouble finding these fish at my LFS.

Two questions:

1. Are P. socolofi (white): 1. albino, 2. naturally white (found in the lake), or 3. line-bred?
2. The red zebras, M. estherae; don't they have an OB form? Could I add one or two of those?

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.