Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently visited my dad and he informed me that he finished his basement, with a specific in-wall cavity for an aquarium thats 4ft long and 18in deep (75 or 90 gal). He doesn't know much about fish or fishkeeping other than just looking at the colorful fish in big city aquariums. I have convinced him to go with a freshwater cichlid tank that would be just as colorful. I also volunteered to set it all up for him the next time I get there. Im purchasing the equipment here and I'll buy the fish later but I just wanted to get some advice because I'm planning to purchase some fish that I have not kept myself before.

I should stress that Im going for max color and pattern variation as my primary goal and a shape variation as my secondary goal. I am also thinking about mixing american cichlids with mildly aggressive malawi cichlids...

here is the stock idea 1:

1x red blood parrot - good red
1x green terror - good green/blue
1x EBJD - blue
1x red severum - red
2x electric yellow lab- yellow
1x clown loach - stripes

stock idea 2

1x blue acara - green
1x frontosa - stripes
1x blood parrot - red
1x red severum - red
1x electric blue hap - blue
2x electric yellow lab - yellow
1x clown loach - stripes

my questions are:

1. is this overstocked for a 90 gallon tank?

2. are there any fish that will get me a better/stronger color variation without mixing in africans?

3. is a green terror too much of a risk?

as for the everything else Im building a custom cabinet and canopy for the 90 gallon, probably setting up my first ever fX5, pool filter sand, non planted, lots of rockwork, and an LED lighting system.

·
Registered
243 Posts
in my opinion you shouldnt keep a front on their own they should be in a group of at least three, and all these fish get about a foot long. So Yep its over stocked. You may get away with two fish in a ninety gal but Thats about it. Again just my opinion.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The answer to your fist question is yes. There is no way either stocking list is sustainable over the long run. Also, it is a bad idea to mix rift lake africans with SA's or CA's. If you want a lot of bright color go with a malawi or lake victoria stock.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah bad idea all around. Your mixing a lot of fish that are not compatible (most of the time). Your father won't be too happy if down the road aggression becomes a problem that he has to deal with.

I would do a Mubuna tank if color is the main concern. You can really pack in some fish with those types as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have seen some red tapajo that are dead sexy what about those?

you could do a nice set up sand some good drift wood perhaps some river rock for contrast and im sure it would look great.

they get fairly large so you could probably do two-three but they grow slow so you could get more as a way to push for a bigger tank :lol:

good luck I have two geos and they are great fish of course mine arent nearly as colorful as red tapajo :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5YDfCN ... re=related

in my opinion its harder to get better looking that that ^^^^

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
adam79 said:
The answer to your fist question is yes. There is no way either stocking list is sustainable over the long run. Also, it is a bad idea to mix rift lake africans with SA's or CA's. If you want a lot of bright color go with a malawi or lake victoria stock.
+1

Good post. To the point and covers everything.

You want colourfull and a decent number of cichlids in your tank, go for african lake cichlids.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts