Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, this is my first post on this site and im very excited as its only my scond time having cichlids (had 2 electric yellow labs in the past). :D

I just bought a 90 gal tank and i am 100% sure i want a cichlid tank. I personally don't know very much about cichlid but i know i wanna aim for CA/SA. I always found JD's cool and i was thinking about them.What other fish do u suggest for a 90 gal with a JD/ how many fish could fit comfotably in it.

I am looking for cichlids that will readily eat live fish too as i have swordtails in 2 other tanks and they spawn every month...so i have a nice supply of my own feeder fish. (it will help with population control)
Thanks in advance for all the intel yall. :thumb:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Almost any SA or CA cichlid will eat small fish lol. But anyway on to stocking I would suggest like 4 honduran red points they are pretty cool. Or maybe one other large cichlid like a severum, texas, carpintis, or another jack dempsey.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
cichlid_kid96 said:
Almost any SA or CA cichlid will eat small fish lol. But anyway on to stocking I would suggest like 4 honduran red points they are pretty cool. Or maybe one other large cichlid like a severum, texas, carpintis, or another jack dempsey.
:thumb: and gold or blue Rocio octofasciata

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so what about a severum and a firemouth with a jack dempsey? Those always caught my eye. I would try and get all females.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also what about a pair of angels in there?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi babarian16,

Welcome. Unfortunately angles will not do well with a JD; they are too peaceful and cannot defend themselves from a JD.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, this thread is helping alot. Today i went to 2 pet stores just to see what they suggest. They send in my 90 gal which is 48x18x24 that i can put: 2 balas, 1JD, 1 firemouth, 1 acara, 1 severum or jewel and 4 or 5 barbs or clown loaches. They said that any agression will get spread out amongst the fish without overcrowding the tank. In the long run do you guys agree with this? If not what would you suggest along these lines.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
He gave you poor advice....but that is why you came here :)

90g is basically a 75g but taller. Taller means little with CA/SA Cichlids.

Some of your best choices are.....

Central American. Most popular and available
JD
Concict
Firemouth
Honduran Red Point
Cutteri
Sagica
Nicaraguense
Rainbow
Centrarchus

South American
Severum
Green Terror
Oscar
Chocolate Cichlid
Uaru
Blue Acara
Australoheros
Bolivian Rams
Keyholes
Eartheaters
Angels

Red devils, Green Terror, Texas, Salvini, jaguar Are bad choices for a small community tank.

I personally like to keep CA and SA seperate. IME I found them quite different. Others have mixed them with success.

With a JD, I think you can add another 5 small to medium CA cichlids from the list. Be aware that some can and will crossbreed, especially the Convict types. All female would be ideal.

JD, Convict and Firemouth are a classic trio.

You can swap a HRP, Cutteri, or Sajica for the Con. Even get a pair if you want to observe breeding behavior.

A Nicaraguense is another medium cichlid I reccomend.

A pair of Rainbows are mellow and will breed for you.

Oh and Balas and clown loaches get too big.

GL.....Bill

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so its a good thing i double checked here :p
So if i go JD, con, acara, firemouth, jewel would this be ok? My local pet store also said that if any of the fish have compatibility issues i can trade them for another one as long as it isnt severly injured; so im not to worried about having super agressive fish.

Lastly are any of these fish not overly agressive when breeding. I always love watching fish spawn but not to the detrement of the rest of the tank inhabitants.(so no mating pair of cons)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I think that would be OK. The Jewel is African but that particular fish can be mixed with the CA/SA.

A breeding pair usually takes a qurted to a third of tank space to defend as their territory.

I dont have experience with Acaras so no sure if they can hold up with the aggresion of the others.

I have Cory cats with all my small/medium Cichlids and never had an incident with them.

Barbs and large body Tetras stay uneaten and left alone too in my tanks.

.....Bill

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so ill stick those 5 and perhaps add a small school of smaller fish. thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so i think i decided on what i want in my tank:
1 JD,1 Oscar,1 FM 1 acara and 5 tiger barbs. Will this work with nothing else?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts