Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm turning my 90g into a CA community. I currently have a 6" female JD and a 4" male marble convict but would like to add a few more cichlids to this mix. Neither of my current fish are aggressive, and I'd like to avoid pairs so I don't have to worry about fry.

I have access to buy the following species:

- pink con (nice big males)
- zebra con (male)
- Gold Severum
- Firemouth
- Green Terror

I thought either of these combos might be nice:
- female JD
- female GT
- male Firemouth
- male convict

OR

- female JD
- male marble convict
- male pink convict
- male zebra convict

What do you all think? Stocking a larger tank with multiple species is new to me, because I have always done single species tanks. I would appreciate your help!

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I would say you are thinking along logical lines to have a moderately full tank when all the fish are at adult size… this is very close to the way I like to stock my tanks ;)

I like the first list you propose, variety is the spice of life and this list offers more variety, yet it seems well balanced so the fish will (should) coexist long term. If you’re a Convict fanatic I could see you choosing the second list also… multiple males of the same species will be a bit challenging but may still work.

When starting a young tank I like to load it with a nice group of Tetras (I like Seprae, but any will do) to kind of fill up the tank while the Cichlids are small. As the Cichlids grow they will gladly remove the Tetras for you before they become a problem :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, Toby_H. I am definitely a convict fanatic but I also want everyone to coexist peacefully, without sparring, so my first list might be best. I've seen no aggression in my female JD yet, and she's almost full-grown. Are GT females also less aggressive than males? I know they're a bit smaller, which was my main reason for choosing a female, but it'd be great if they're more laid-back too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey Natalie, I'm not sure if you know it or not, but Tiger Pets can order anything from this site for you:

http://www.sunpet.com/sunpet_products.php

Just click on Guest Sign In and you can see all the livestock. It doesn't list prices, but she'll sell them to you for what she pays for them, as she gets them in with her normal shipment.

So you have access to a few more fish! Also, I'll have some yellow cons and some Rainbows in soon that will need rehoming after I get a pair (I know I mentioned this before). I'm just trying to throw you some more options out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts