Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if this would be a good group for a 4 foot 80 gallon tank

6 lamprologus meleagris
6-8 altos
10-15 cyprichromis
and maybe something else?

My first question would be if i could get jumbo cyps for this tank, or if i should just go with utinta.
Second question would be if i could maybe have a sand dweller or feather fin type of fish (i know its kind of pushing it but it cant hurt to ask)

Thanks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
this sounds reasonable if you stick with the utinta. I think the jumbo's need more than 4 feet. You might be able to get away with some xeno's in the sand but probably no featerfins, again I think they need more than 4 feet

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The action of the cyps may freak the meleagris into slimming.... Ironically Meleagris slims much like Cyps do when stressed. The Good news is that it's usually dietary and requires no treatment other than getting rid of whatever is stressing them (the Meleagris I mean, cyps usually require treatment when slimming ime.)

It's definitely worth a Shot. Also having Kept Calvus and Meleagris in an 80 gal together, My Big male Calvus would, just occasionally put one of the adult Stappersi/Meleagris in his mouth for a minute! He never actually ate any of them and they seemed no worse for the ware. It was interesting.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
My Big male Calvus would, just occasionally put one of the adult Stappersi/Meleagris in his mouth for a minute! He never actually ate any of them and they seemed no worse for the ware. It was interesting.
Not to the meleagris, I'm sure. :lol:

I would stick with 3 species in a four footer, and only do jumbo cyps in 6 feet if a mixed species tank. I've heard of success breeding jumbo's in 4 feet, but that'd be in a species tank.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
No, seriously, My Bog White Calvus (5in) would jam out if the stapps got too close and nail them, carry them around with half their body hangin out of his mouth (the tail part) for 30 seconds to a minute before he would realize he literally bit off more than he could chew and spit them out.

They shyed away from him afterward but I'd see him do it again a month or so later. It was weird I admit. After I moved the stapps I put 10 Similis in the same setup and he never even tried to go for them, which was even weirder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.