Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what filter to get for my 80 gallon tank(72 X 15 X 17).
My suggestions are a new pool filter, two hobs, hob and canister, just a canister, or just a hob
Tank will have breeding pair of jacks (EBJD and BGJD) currently have only the EBJD at like an inch or so.
going to get a power head or two also.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
On my 55g I have a canister and HOB. I like the HOB's because they disrupt the surface nicely thus insuring oxygenation. On an 80g (and my 55) you can get away with only 1 filter but I tend to over filter and also like having 2 filters for piece of mind if one fails.

As far as brands, Eheim, fluval, Rena etc... are the most popular. You can check the reveiw section of the site.

2 things to remember when buying. 1. Don't go by the brand recommendations on what size tank to use it on, I feel they are over estimated. 2. The list GPH (gallons per hour) are usually for empty filters with no media. So keep that in mind when figuring how many gallons per hour you will be filtering. I try to get 10x the turnover of my tanks. So on my 55g I like at least 550 gph. Again I tend to over filter but that is certainly not needed especially if the tank is not heavily stocked.

·
Registered
406 Posts
On my 125, it the same length as yours. I have a Eheim 2217 at one end of the tank and a Aqua Clear 110 on the other end, works great for me.

I would probably recommend something similar for you, one canister and one HOB.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dose any one else have some thing to say and I want to know would a Unused pool filter work, because it would be like a canister but cheaper and i would also have a bio wheel 400 or a AquaClear 110 or70.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I don't think the pool filter will do very well over the long haul. They are a much larger motor than needed and much higher rate of water flow. The bigger motor means higher electrical bills and far more noise. I can't imagine having my pool filter set in the house! Cleaning a pool filter is a big job that I would not want for a tank filter. Right now there are some pretty good prices on Ehiem 2217's that would make a super filter for you tank. You can currently get one for $135 with free shipping by checking the internet. I would not bother with a second filter until there was some need shown for it. More filters mean more expense, more electricity, more noise and more work. I like to hold all those down when I can.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the first filter In till i need two ( the fish going in are only 1-2 inches forgot to mention that :roll: :roll: ) will be a bio wheel or aqua clear. I don't have 100 dollars to spend so i will have to find one used.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
if you want a good hob without spending a ton of money, i'd suggest an emperor 400, they are good filters and run cheaper than aquaclears unless you can find one cheap online

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would definitely look at the Emperor 400. It is a good filter for that size tank and will do the job for quite some time, maybe forever. If money grew on trees, life would be less work, huh?

Emperor 400 are available for under $50. Do some internet shopping for best price.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Wish that there was a mony tree too....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Bio wheel 150 on a 29 soon to home BGRs (have in a ten gallon) (Cycling :lol: ) And the filter works great. also two 400 one on a 100 and one on a 90 work ok, but the wheels don't spin like my 150. :roll: :fish:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I actually like the tetra whisper ex series. They are super quiet and have those inserts you can put quilt batting in. They are pretty cheap I picked up an ex70 for $22. I like marineland too but these seem very imo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is $45 good for a Marineland Magnum 350 and is this a good filter. and how dose it work dose it make a vortex or what.
And how good are cascade filters.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went with a cascade 300 :D this filter looks Funny because the filter cartridge is longer then it is tall. it is a really quite filter it has a extensible intake valve. so it can be like 9 inches and then you can twist it to like 17 inches. it is a really nice filter i am impressed it is much quieter than any filter i have ever owned. :D I'd recommended this filter to anyone. :D :fish:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nice I have a cascade 1000 and it runs quiet too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts