Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I have recently set up a 77 gallon malawi mbuna tank. So far the inhabitants include:
3 Aceis
3 Yellow labs
8 Demasonis

I'm running it with a magnum 350 and an aquaclear 50 (200). I have a power-glo light in a cheap marineland fixture that came with the tank. I have no intention of switching fixtures, as this one works fine. The temp fluctuates between 78-79 degrees.

Here's some pictures:

This is a picture of the newly setup tank. You can see the rock formation.

That's a picture of a Yellow Lab and an Acei.

I don't currently have any pictures of my demasoni right now, but you can see a cool video of them being released and feeding here:

You may notice the little feeding accident. It's hard to hold the camera and feed them at the same time: I cleaned it up. :p

Would it be ok to get anymore rock, and place it a bit more like this? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=164159
I'm not sure about what kind of rock it is, and my LFS is out of it. Any advise would be great. I'm also in the blue about how much rock I need, but my fish haven't had any aggression problems so far. The demasonis are small right now, so they don't cause any trouble.

Also, which lightbulb is better: powerglo or coralife 50/50? I'm thinking of getting a coralife bulb. As well, I well be getting 11 more fish before my stocking list is complete: 6 msobos, 1 more Acei, and 4 more Demasonis. I would appreciate any advise/suggestions.

Thanks,
Trinidad

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just a quick comment. From now on when you are releasing fish don't let the bag water into the rest of the aquarium as it has a high ammonia build up from the fish being confined. Unless you did this and i missed it then nvm.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
First, you'll want to add 5-8 more demasoni, and fast. Otherwise, expect to have 1 within six months, if not sooner. You might want to increase your acei and lab populations, too. I believe acei are fond of schooling, and labs will like the colonial feel.
Second, yes, yes, yes, add more rocks. Tons more. For demasoni, lots of cavework is key to success, so you'll want to pack that tank like the link you posted. Maybe more, up to you.
You won't notice much aggression with the labs or acei even once they mature, but the demasoni will definitely start pecking soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. I'll remember to fish out the fish with a net next time. (no pun intended)

Also, I'm getting some more demasonis next week, along with some more rock, which is called Tuffa rock, apparently. Like I said in my above post, I don't have any eggcrates down. I'm going to make sure the rocks are ok before I leave them in for a while.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
I am switching out the gravel for silica sand. I have a couple questions concerning this:
Where do I put the fish? Will they be ok?
Is 70 pounds of silica sand enough for a 48x16 area?

I'm also going to get some pictures of the rock I'm putting in to make sure it's ok.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It is a risky process to change your substrate.
I found the best method is:

Empty tank 50% vacuuming the gravel as you go to remove all the poop

Remove all rocks

Wilst leaving all fish in the tank remove gravel with a brand new, clean as a whistle hand held dust pan (your fish will be fine do take care not injure any of them). You may get residue at the bottom of the tank its up to you to remove it or not

With a small round bowl scoop up sand from bag and release in tank as close to the base as possible to prevent a stir up (make sure you fully submerse the bowl) in the water before emptying)

When the sand is in fill tank as if you have just done a water change

Once the tank is full the water is gonna be slightly cloudy no matter what it will clear though.

Hook everything up and marvel in your greatness

There are other ways of doing it but this way worked fine for me without casualties
good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If someone else can confirm this method, I'll do it! (Can't be too careful)

Here are some pictures of the rock I got. Is it ok to use?

Like I said, I would really appreciate it if someone else could confirm the method of switching the substrate.

Thanks!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I would wash the sand first. Best done outside. Poor it from the bag into a bucket filled with water and let the fine dust and light particulates overflow out of the bucket. Repeat process between two buckets of water until water is pretty clear. This way you won't cloud your tank quite as much.

If the tank clouds. Use a product by Seachem called clarity which will allow the fine particles to be cleared by your filter. When tank clears, replace or wash out filter media.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts